Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Wednesday Throwback?

Welcoming Autumn 1974--Wednesday, 9/23/15

Focal item: Cobalt blue bow neck button up shirt

I pinned this photo because I have a cobalt blue button up shirt, a bright teal pencil skirt, and a pair of gold flats to substitute for the gold belt.  I knew I wouldn't be wearing them quite this way due to my no-tuck preferences, but I figured I could do something pretty similar.

From kslookbook.com

But before I had a chance to create my own version of this, I purchased a navy paisley pencil skirt at the thrift store, so I decided to substitute that for the teal skirt.  So far, so good.  But when I put on the shirt and skirt, it felt very under-done.

With the bow tie neckline, I didn't think adding a scarf was the way to go.  With the sorta puffy 3/4 length sleeves, putting on a blazer or cardigan would be almost impossible to do without uncomfortable bunching in the sleeves.  I considered my options for a moment, then remembered the navy open weave sleeveless cardigan I bought this summer.  And voila!  Problem solved. 


Cobalt blue bow neck button up shirt (Lands End), $2.50/wear+
*Navy paisley pencil skirt (thrifted, Target), $3.00/wear+
Navy open weave sleeveless cardigan (thrifted, Tommy Hilfiger), $0.94/wear [woo!]
Gold flats (Nordstrom), $3.33/wear

Outfit total: $9.77/wear

I really liked the way that the cardigan (vest) matched the navy background of the skirt fabric, too.  Instead of colorblocking, like in the inspiration photo, this went a very different direction, but I pretty much loved it.


Is it just me, or is does this outfit have a "juxtaposition of 70s styles" vibe about it?  (Unfair, just using the word "vibe" makes everything seem more 70s.)  Hear me out.

70s Influence #1--Work Style:  9 to 5 pussy bow blouses worn with skirts (and the blouse is cobalt blue)


70s Influence #2--Casual Style:  Crochet vests...


...and paisley prints


So there you have it.  Thoroughly modern colorblocked office attire evolves into a schizo 70s outfit.

And I couldn't be happier.

Well, unless I had this bunny to snuggle!  Talk about your timeless, sophisticated style.  What a gorgeous rabbit.
 

In other news...Today was a busy, headachy, stomach-achy kind of day at work, but still pretty good.  I blame the rain for my headache but I feel like we needed some rain so the weather gods are forgiven.

I haven't yet decided whether I am going to continue my day of ghost-busting with an evening of super-mutant-bashing in Fallout 3.  I had been thinking that I would watch the movie A Birder's Guide to Everything  this evening but I've been put off by the fact that the DVD doesn't have subtitles (is that even legal???) and our DVD player plays videos at a volume so faint that even after turning off all noise-makers in that part of the house (fans, air filters, breathing), you can't really quite hear it.  Hmmm.

2 comments:

Tam said...

After you mentioned the 70s, I realized that the front of that blouse reminded me a little bit of the more popular-looking girl on Scooby Doo. So I guess that is 70s!

Sally said...

Hey, you're right! I'm like Daphne + Velma in one person.