Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Dress and Scarf

Because I am Not a Jane Austen Character--Tuesday, 9/22/15

Focal item: Maroon cardigan with 3/4 length sleeves

Our Reverse Inspiration players today have captured the black-and-white with red/maroon aspect of my outfit very well.  In fact, they were more clearly influenced by my original conception of my outfit than the clothes I ended up wearing.

#1:  A dress with maroon blazer and ankle boots.

From apocketfulofpolkadots.com

#2:  Pants and red blazer.

From kslookbook.com

As often happens, I got an idea for an outfit that was based on some Platonic ideal clothing items rather than the actual specific garments that I own.  I know that I have a black and white polka dot dress, and that dress feels like it should work in so many situations because a subtle black and white pattern can go with almost anything.  But I forget that my polka dot dress is an empire waist dress with a somewhat low, square neckline that likes to shift just enough to show my bra strap and/or more of my chest than I feel comfortable baring at work.  Scarf to the rescue, again!


Black and white polka dot dress (thrifted, Target), $2.50/wear+
*3/4 sleeve maroon cardigan (thrifted, AB Studio/Kohls), $5.00/wear+
Red/black flats by Ivanka Trump, $2.33/wear
Purple/red/yellow semi-floral scarf (Target), $1.50/wear

Outfit total: $11.33 (behold the power of thrifting)

I had not envisioned my outfit this way, but I liked how it turned out.  It's hard for me to get too upset about adding some more pattern mixing into my look, especially when I'm starting with something as sedate as polka dot dress and solid cardigan (and very subtly paisley patterned flats).  I also feel that the colors have that "fall transition" feel that people like to talk about as if it's a thing.


The floaty, feminine style of this dress is a bit outside my norm, but I do like how it feels.  I just wish it were a little less suitable for a Jane Austen cosplay and more compatible with wearing to work sans scarf.  Oh well.  At least it doesn't have a silk bow sticking out right underneath my chest.  Could be worse.

From lanalulucreations.blogspot.com

My brain is mush this afternoon.  Not only did I forget to set the timer when I put my fish in the oven, when I later remembered it, I set the timer but did not press start.  ARGH!

No comments: