Monday, December 8, 2014

These Boots are Not Particularly Made For Walking But Whatever

Personal Style Challenge: Feminine + Masculine Revisited, with Mom Inspired Olive + Pink -- Thursday, 12/4/14

Whew.  OK, that was a challenging challenge name.

This week I was all over the button up (up! up, I tell you!) shirt with wool pullover sweater idea, but I controlled myself and only wore two variants on the theme -- and made them into two personal style challenges because this combination was not part of the 31 Days, 31 Ways challenge (although a similar challenge was, as you will see in Friday's outfit).  Over the weekend, I'd been looking at the weather forecast -- no snow, but cold -- with a bit of dread and something about a wool pullover seemed more appealing than a cardigan.  (Perhaps that something is the fact that it automatically covers the entire front of your body with a layer of wool?)

I think I've only worn this particular sweater once, and the outfit was a total fail for me -- too dowdy and blah.  This time, I decided to wear it with my recently purchased olive pants (the sweater has olive stripes) but the overall look, while much better than the other one, was still very dark and unexciting.  Then I remembered Mom's suggestion that olive and pink are a great combination and put a pink button up shirt underneath.  Add a sparkly pink necklace for extra girly brightness and the drabness is defeated!  (My new maroon ankle boots have also supplanted the middle-aged-looking loafers I wore last time -- those were a thrift store purchase that is going back to the thrift store for a new owner who does not need modern kicks to escape complete frump-out...or who enjoys pairing modern ensembles with old-fashioned shoes...or who flat out embraces the frump for that matter).


Pink button up shirt (thrifted, Liz Claiborne)
Maroon/grey/olive striped wool sweater (thrifted, Target)
Olive pants (thrifted, Coldwater Creek)
Maroon ankle boots by Dolce Vita
Pink "floral" necklace (Target)

Verdict:  Yes, this sweater can be saved!  Also, these boots are the bomb.  I really liked wearing them with the wide leg pants.

I'm not sure why the reviews -- all four of them, so beware small sample size -- are so split between the love 'em and hate 'em crowds.  Maybe the taupe is not as nice looking as the eggplant?  I agree that they don't have a lot of cushioning, so I wouldn't wear them to walk any distance, but they're very comfortable for wearing at work.

My review: "I spent all day at work sitting on my ass, working in SPSS and Excel on my computer, and my feet were perfectly content to rest there, looking awesome, in these boots.  Occasionally I walked for a minute to the bathroom and back, and my feet were cool with that.  Then I changed into snow boots to walk out to my car and drive home.  I got home, put these boots back on, and sat in my comfy chair while my Eggman cooked me scrambled eggs and brought them to me to eat.  After dinner, I sat at my computer all evening playing games and writing blog posts, and my feet were like, Rock on, man.  I thought about wearing the boots to bed but realized -- oh my god, how ridiculous, my feet will get way too hot wearing boots under my blankets!  So I didn't.  And my feet thanked me for it by not getting all sweaty and gross."

6 comments:

Tam said...

The original outfit you posted with that striped sweater (the one you linked too here) is not so much "blah" for me as it is like "J.C. Penny catalog." I guess that could mean the same as "blah."

Sally said...

Hah, yeah, JC Penney catalog circa 1998 or something, too :)

jen said...

I like your boot review :)

Sally said...

I definitely know how to put a pair of boots through their paces.

Tam said...

Yeah, I was trying to figure out circa what, but I couldn't quite nail it.

mom said...

The pink blouse with the necklace definitely makes this outfit look much better and I like the contrast with the olive pants.