Friday, December 5, 2014

Like Robert?

Book Review:  Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson


5 stars

If you have any interest in traditional fantasy, I highly recommend this book.  It's a sort of high fantasy caper novel with a hint of political intrigue and a whole delightful heaping portion of magic-fueled martial arts (the comparison to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is inevitable).  One of the most striking things about it to me was how well-developed the magic system is -- it felt novel and well-thought-out.  I am glad that we got to watch as the female lead (a strong female character who does not come across as the standard "strong female character" that has plagued way too many otherwise enjoyable fantasy series of late, though in general character development is not a strong point of this book) learned how to use her powers -- her instructor's explanations were interesting and satisfying.

This is the first book in a series, and I am eager to read more of it.  If the second book is as good as this one, I'll be happy.

Personal Style Challenge: Like Robert -- Monday, 12/1/14

Even though Robert has branched out significantly from his old uniform, I still associate him with red and blue -- especially stripes, of course, but he actually doesn't own a red and blue striped shirt anymore. He does, however, own a red and blue check shirt that I love on him, so I decided to see if I could wear it to work.  And I did.  The sweater rode up some in this photo (grr) but I did leave a bit of the tail sticking out on purpose.  I don't know why, but I sorta like the casual vibe of that look.  One could argue it doesn't do my hips any favors, but my hips are so awesome they don't need favors from anybody or anything.


Robert's blue and red check button up (Target)
Navy wool pullover (thrifted, Ralph Lauren)
Navy Dockers
Navy ankle boots by Seychelles
Bulbous silver tone necklace (JNY)

Verdict:  I enjoyed wearing this Robert shirt, and the wool sweater was appropriately warm for a day with a high of 8 degrees.

And to be perfectly clear, I like Robert every single day.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm glad that your hips are awesome and don't need any favors!

I'm having trouble imagining Robert in that necklace, but I can do it.