Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Scarfing Down

Day 18: Add a Scarf -- Tuesday, 11/25/14

The maniacal laughter you hear is me thinking of adding a scarf to an outfit as a challenge.  One of the best things about living in the frozen north is that I can wear scarves year-round, and I have the collection that befits such a useful and versatile outfit staple.  Today's outfit features a new (to me) scarf that I recently bought at Goodwill.  It also features a beloved color combination -- red, black, and white.  Yes!  Love!  I liked it so much I didn't even care that I wore the herringbone jacket to work two weeks in a row.


Black and white herringbone blazer (thrifted, Studio 1940 [?])
*Red corduroy skirt (thrifted, H&M, new with tags) -- I really have trouble remembering that corduroy start with "cord" even though pants made of out this material are often called "cords"
Black knit top (thrifted, Liz Claiborne)
Black tights
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman
*White/red/black plaid scarf (thrifted)

Verdict:  The thick tights and leggings from Spanx are pretty warm -- certainly warm enough indoors (even if my office is on the chilly side) when it's in the upper 20's outside.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm glad you tell us the colors because on my screen it looks like you are wearing a brown herringbone blazer (with brown buttons) and the reds are hot pink.

When I was a kid I couldn't even remember the word for corduroy, let alone how to start spelling it. I remember having to ask my mom multiple times what the name of that fabric was that feels like stripes.

As for "adding a scarf," I'm thinking it *should* be a challenge for you because you're generally already wearing a scarf. Sure, scarf + necklace = easy. But scarf + another scarf? Now that's challenging! I guess you'd need two thin ones that coordinate well; then you could twist them around each other to look sort of like a single reversible scarf.

And I don't know why I suddenly have so many comments on one post, but here's another. I often have the problem that my skirt sticks to my tights and tries to turn into coulottes instead of draping properly. Do you have hints on how to wear tights with skirts? Like do they all have to be the same fiber or opposite fibers or you have to rub a dryer sheet on your legs every hour or something?

Sally said...

Two scarves -- now that would be a challenge worthy of me.

It's funny, I don't think I ever experience the problem of skirts sticking to my tights. I mean, I have heard tell of such things, but it hasn't happened to me, so I have no advice to give. Well, one thing is that I wear tights that have a smooth outer texture. Some tights are rougher (and pill easily) and that could definitely lead to some unintentional velcro type action.

Debbie said...

It sounds like we wear the same kind of tights. But I tend to wear flimsier, more voluminous skirts, perhaps less likely to be made of cotton.

jen said...

Love this outfit! And the 2 scarf challenge could be interesting.

Sally said...

Debbie, yeah, I don't wear flimsy or voluminous skirts with tights much. My fall/winter skirts are thicker.

Jen, I think the 2 scarf challenge is interesting too, and I had an idea about it lying in bed last night. Watch this space.

Debbie said...

Ha, I'm looking forward to your answer to the two-scarf challenge as well.