Sunday, December 14, 2014

In Which I Embrace a Trend Unexpectedly

Feeling French -- Saturday, 12/6/14

It absolutely boggles my mind, the ubiquity of French-themed "fashion" T-shirts in the US marketplace.  I don't mean tourist souvenir type T-shirts, but trendy T-shirts for daily wear.  It's like, French women are famously fashionable, so let's all wear a shirt with the Eiffel Tower on it...


...or some French words...




or hell yeah, a drawing of a fashionable French woman (who is not wearing a French-themed T-shirt, mai oui).  Indeed, the skinny French woman design has risen to the level of plus-size fashion trope.  (I have tried so hard several times to re-find the hilarious website where I read about plus-size fashion cliches but can't. Boo!)

I am distinctly not a fan of the weird stand-alone word(s) on clothing thing, whether it's the obnoxious Pink/Juicy/etc. sweatpants ass or the slightly more grown up "mood" words on shirts and sweaters.


It probably doesn't help that an accurate mood shirt for me would spend 80% of the time declaring: No Fucking Way, What Fresh Hell?, or Hulk Smash.  About 15% of the time, it would read: BUNNIES! LOVE!

But when I was perusing the 25% off Style & Co. clothing sale at Macys.com on Thanksgiving, I found the perfect French themed shirt.  No, it did not say "MERDE."  It said:


Yep, a disapproving lop in a beret.  For $8.50.  No words needed, French or otherwise -- that grumpy face transcends verbal language.

Now they just need to complete their "rabbits in hats" clothing line.  May I suggest a Rhinelander in a Tyrolean hat?  A rex in a fedora?  A Dutch in one of those silly white bonnets?  A Xmas themed disapproving rabbit in a Santa hat, with optional wording: "Bah, humbun"?


*Beret bunny T-shirt (Macy's)
Navy cardigan (Kohls)
Bootcut jeans (thrifted, Target)
Grey ankle boots by Seychelles

4 comments:

jen said...

Cute lapin!

Sally said...

I thought you might approve!

Tam said...

That shirt is WAY too cute. Holy mother of muffins.

Sally said...

I know, right? RIGHT?! It's crazy.