Friday, March 10, 2017

Rosy, Squirrely, and Trumped Up

"Rosy Brown"--Wednesday, 3/8/17

Rosy Brown is so the name of a children's book character, am I right?  What do you think this character would be like?  I'm envisioning a young black girl who after reading an Encyclopedia Brown book decides that she would be an even better detective...and is.

It's easy to miss how this inspiration outfit got translated into mine but look carefully...

From theminuteglass.com

She's wearing (lighter shades of) pink and brown, yes, but it's the maroon boots (or hers might be shoes, I don't know) that shifted the direction of this outfit a bit away from what I would have chosen to wear on my own.


Dusky pink pullover sweater (Loft), $4.95/wear
Brown corduroy skirt (thrifted, Walmart), $0.43/wear
Brown leopard scarf (Kohls), $1.41/wear
Brown tights
Maroon ankle boots by Dolce Vita, $6.25/wear

Outfit total: $13.04/wear

I would normally have worn this with tall brown boots or, if I wanted to be a little less obvious, tall cognac boots, but the maroon ankle boots were a fun alternative.  And of course I wore a long scarf with it, which is pretty much my signature look.


"And This Blazer, Again"--Thursday, 3/9/17

I've become really attracted to this blazer lately, so be expecting to see it again in the not-distant future.  Last time I wore it, I described the outfit as a little on the style clown end of the minimalist-maximalist spectrum.  This time, I hit more like 65% of the way toward maximalist, which is a very comfortable place for me to be.

Alice often hangs out around that point in the spectrum, too.  This inspiration outfit is actually pretty low key for her with no pattern mixing that I can see.  Her statement shoes carry a lot on their own, though.

From happinessatmidlife.com

I kept my shoes unremarkable--some comfy wedges that blend in with the tights--and did do a bit of pattern mixing by adding this paintstroke-patterned scarf.  Of course, the blazer is pattern-mixed all on its own with stripes and polka dots...plus edging in black (like along the sleeve) or more polka dots.  I really loved wearing this outfit.  The color combination and mix of prints was just spot on for me.  This skirt is a little dangerous to wear with bare legs sitting down, but with tights, I enjoy the slightly unusual cut as a nice change from my typical pencil skirts.   


Black long-sleeved T (Walmart), $0.42/wear
Cobalt skirt (eShakti), $3.89/wear
Black and white striped/polka dot blazer (thrifted, Jessica London), $2.00/wear
Black tights + black wedges (thrifted), $0.25/wear
Black/blue/orange floral infinity scarf (Target), $1.40/wear

Outfit total: $7.96/wear

Also sporting a stripe/polka dot pattern mix, this ground squirrel.  I like it, dude!  (Ah, a photo taken back when there was green grass growing in the ground outside; it feels like a lifetime ago...)


In other news...Let's catch up on some political articles (after yesterday's kittyfest).

First, a fascinating article about the State Department under Donald Trump.  For me, the most interesting piece was this:


“They really want to blow this place up,” said the mid-level State Department officer. “I don’t think this administration thinks the State Department needs to exist. They think Jared [Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law] can do everything. It’s reminiscent of the developing countries where I’ve served. The family rules everything, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs knows nothing.”

I keep thinking (and saying) that Donald Trump thought he was running for dictator, but it turns out he has to be the president.  These kinds of comments from within the government only reaffirm that view.

Second, is the upper-middle class ruining America, as this article suggests?

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

I almost mistook that quote as something from a (fiction) book you read. 😢

I was struck by how beautifully green the grass was at the dog park today. It was gorgeous, sunny, perfect temps, like it often is, but since we've gotten so much rain lately the grass was really vivid. You're welcome to come for a visit :)

Sally said...

I know, it's like Trump is doing all he can to turn the US into one of those barely functioning countries you read about the in newspaper.

Green grass, sigh. Well we're supposed to get 3-5" of snow this evening, so that should turn things pretty in another way.