Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Give Peace a Chansey

"Vest Week #1: Sorta Rowr"--Monday, 3/27/17

From one year ago, this post on "fresh ways to wear red" paired a red sweater with black and grey printed bottoms for the "red with prints" look. 

From bridgetteraes.com

This is very different from the "red with Prince" look, which I couldn't pull off at all.

From pinterest.com

Anyway, somehow, my Monday through Thursday outfits this week all have vests, which are apparently my go-to seasonal transition item of choice.  So today we'll feature the classic black moto vest, which I've noticed I like wearing over these lightweight cashmere sweaters.  I put on my kick-ass ankle boots with the silver details and an animal print scarf for some slightly edgy cheetah action.


Red pullover sweater (Macy's), $3.55/wear
Black moto vest (JCP), $2.12/wear
Grey polka dot skirt (Kohls), $1.60/wear
Coral cheetah scarf (thrifted), $0.30/wear
Black tights + black ankle boots by Sam Edelman, $1.75/wear

Outfit total: $9.32/wear

This sprawling, sweet-faced Polish bunny has a lovely spotted "animal print" too.


In other news...Monday night was quite warm after work (55 F) so we went out for a Pokemon Go walk around 6:50 and it was still light outside even, for a while.  There were a bunch of walkers, joggers, bicyclists, kids on scooters (electric and self-propelled)...and many of them didn't even have doggies with them (as is the case during the colder days when only a dog's call of nature forces most people outdoors).

At one point, I was stopped looking down at my phone when there was this tremendous whistling/buzzing sound as something flew by clearly only a few feet from my head.  I didn't see what it was but assumed that some jackass had buzzed us with his drone.  Before I could say anything, Robert inexplicably said, Woodcock.  I was like, What???  He had seen it fly by us and it was a displaying American woodcock, who does a "dazzling aerial display" to impress the ladies at dusk.

I was wearing a brown cotton jacket and olive green ball cap and Robert was wearing an olive green jacket, so I said, Maybe we were standing so still, he mistook us for trees.  And Robert conceded that we did have a kind of tree/foliage look about us.

Amusingly, about 30 minutes later, maybe 6 blocks or so downriver, we did see a drone high out over the river.  Robert was like, Wait, was it a drone after all?  But (1) he had seen that it was a bird even though it was getting dark-ish and (2) the drone was way louder than the sound of the woodcock--I'd only heard the woodcock's whistling wings as it came directly past me--and of a different quality.  According to David Sibley, it is still not clear to ornithologists whether that sound is purely the air rushing between the three unusually narrow outer primary feathers or whether there are vocal sounds involved as well, though he is of the opinion that it's all wing sounds.

Fun fact:  "This bird is also known as the bogsucker, timberdoodle, hookumpeke, and night peck."

So further evidence, in addition to all the other birds that have appeared and started making noise in the last several days, that Spring is coming to Coldville!

This post is brought to you by Chansey, the friendly, unassuming little Pokemon who is kinda a bitch to fight due to her very high number of hit points.


No comments: