Saturday, November 1, 2014

Unexpectedly Great SF Novel

Book Review: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel


4.5 stars

This quiet, unassuming little post-apocalyptic novel packs an amazing punch.  The backstory structure is handled brilliantly and the threads of the narrative come together in a very emotionally satisfying way.  I want to read the Dr. Eleven series of comics (even if there are only two issues).  I love that a group in the book takes their motto from an episode of Star Trek: Voyager and that the set-up of Justin Cronin's excellent The Passage is described by one character to another.  (You have read The Passage trilogy right?  That was a series that was good all the way to the end.)  But this isn't a book that tends to be funny or something you immediately want to start reading half of to people who are trying to play a computer game at the time (I mean, you know, theoretically a person could want to do that).  It's something that builds slowly and sucks you in.

One thing to be aware of going in is that it is not a semi- (pseudo-) realistic portrayal of how a segment of humanity survives a modern-day plague and the collapse of civilization.  There is no loving three page description of how somebody builds a crossbow, MacGyver-style, out of random metal scraps, etc.  It's more a story about relationships at the end of the world.

Read this book!

Starting a Long Week of Meetings -- Monday, 10/20/14

What a tiring week that was.  It's nice that I went into work on Monday oblivious to the mild tribulations to come...and wearing a spiffy necklace/scarf combo.


*Textured white button up shirt (thrifted, Foxcroft--I haven't owned this brand before but I've heard good things about the fit of their shirts, and here is a very similar style for $88)
Green trousers (Kohls)
*Black/blue/white/brown silk scarf (thrifted, Adrienne Vittadini)
White/black necklace (gift from Mom)
Black button suede shoes (thrifted, Franco Sarto)

(I feel a little silly because I took this picture before deciding to put a camisole under the shirt.  Duh, white shirt means: needs camisole.  Awkward.  At least I remembered before going to work!)

2 comments:

Tam said...

I'm going to read the Passage and then circle back around to this book, I think. Thanks for the recommendation! (Boy, does this ever sound like a spam comment. "I am finding very interesting thanks for sharing passports.)

Sally said...

Oh yeah, The Passage series was just so good, I thought. I saved the last one for a holiday trip to Fort Worth, where I knew there would be plenty of "spending quality time together by sitting in the same room reading different books" with Robert's family. (I tease him about that, but it's actually great.) Of course, I ended up staying up late reading the book, too. They are not like the BEST BOOKS EVER but they are definitely a lot of fun, and I was impressed by how he kept up the quality/interest through the whole series.