Thursday, November 6, 2014

In Cuffs

Book Review:  The Likeness by Tana French


5 stars

Another excellent mystery in the Dublin Murder Squad series.  I liked this one a bit more more than I did The Secret Place.  An undercover cop turned murder detective turned domestic violence detective gets back into the undercover game by taking the place of a dead doctoral student who happens to look exactly like her.  (The student is found dead in circumstances that allow the cops to pass her off as having been attacked, abandoned, found in a coma, watched in a coma for a while in the hospital--giving the cop time to prep for the gig--before waking up, recovering of her wounds, and returning to her regular life.)  Among other things, she discovers that the lifestyle of an English PhD student who is past her courses/quals and whose advisor is reluctant to push for any progress on the dissertation after her near death experience is much, much easier than that of a domestic violence cop.  Harder is keeping up the pretense under the watchful eyes of her four housemates/fellow grad students/de facto family, one of whom just might be the killer.  Will she get someone in cuffs by the end of the book?

Day 2: Add a Cuff -- Tuesday, 10/28/14

I have a lot of shirts I could cuff, but I decided this was the perfect opportunity to debut a pullover sweater I bought recently at Goodwill.  Because I was interested in a few roomy sweaters I could easily layer shirts under, I checked out the men's sweater selection as well.  This cream pullover was a nice find--a useful color, a collar unlike any of my other sweaters.  I visualized it with jeans for the weekend but put it into an outfit for work here.

The sizing on this thing is insane.  It is a Men's Large Tall.  But it's more like a medium around the body and it is not very long at all, shorter than most men's sweaters, I think.  However, the sleeves are crazy long.  It is hard to imagine any human for whom this combination of dimensions is right, though perhaps a chimpanzee or other monkey-type critter would love it.

Anyway, thus: the cuffing of the sleeves.  (I have a sorta wonky photo trim job here because I wanted to show off both cuffs.)


*Cream pullover sweater (thrifted, Field Gear--men's)
Brown pinstriped pants (thrifted, Chaps)
Gold pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom)

Verdict:  It felt a bit odd to wear an outfit without a scarf or a necklace.  I would wear this again, though I think I would wear my brown flats and would wait for a day it's cool enough that I would want a scarf with it, too.  It occurs to me that my selection of scarves with brown in them truly suck.  Something to keep in mind.

No comments: