Saturday, November 8, 2014

Challenging to Stay Awake

Day 4: Mix Color Families -- 10/30/14

There were a lot of ways to approach this, but I decided to go with grey plus a jewel tone. 

I normally would have been like, oh man, I don't have a grey tank to wear underneath this sweater from Target with the insanely tight sleeves so I guess I will find a different cardigan.  And I did think that, but circled back to the "mix color" idea and decided I would use multiple neutrals in the outfit and bring this previously-unworn black top into play.  It worked well with the black-toed leopard shoes anyway.  I had a lot of necklace choices but thought the bluish-grey of this necklace would be a subtle way to bring another neutral into the mix.

I was so, so tired this week that the outfit challenge was definitely eclipsed by the staying awake at work challenge.  I think I had caffeinated tea 2 (maybe 3!) times at work this week.  (My rule is that I can have one caffeinated teabag worth of iced tea in the morning but I cannot do it on consecutive days.  I think I average around 1/2 to 1 caffeinated teabag per week but there is a lot of variation around that mean.)


*Black lace-edged tank top (thrifted, Kohls)
*Burgundy cardigan (Target)
Grey pants (Kohls)
Grey leopard wedges by Cole Haan
Hematite/silver necklace by RB

Verdict:  Tank + cardigan is a great combination for fall.  I need to remember that until True Snow City Winter is upon us, this is a good alternative to wearing a long-sleeved shirt or a lightweight sweater on its own.  I liked the neutral mix and was glad to wear the cardigan that I had been giving the evil eye for months (and had wondered WTF I was thinking when I bought it).  I realized that I do not own any grey tops -- no tanks, t-shirts, blouses, button-up shirts, nothing.  Wearing black worked well, but this is not the first, second, or third time I've wanted to grab a grey top.  I think I should start a list with these potential wardrobe holes.  I'll do it right now, in fact.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Yes, what is the deal with the insanely tight sleeves? I haven't bought a sweater in ages. And I have pretty scrawny arms.

Sally said...

It's like some of these companies cannot imagine that a person is wearing a sweater on top of a real shirt because they want to be WARM. Obviously we're wearing a cami or sleeveless tank underneath...

Debbie said...

That's especially weird because most companies are based in the north, where people actually do want to be warm sometimes.

Sally said...

Good point. Target is headquartered in Minneapolis, which I hear tell is a cold place...