Friday, November 7, 2014

Not a Celebrity Watcher

Day 3: Copy a Celeb -- Wednesday, 10/29/14

OK, I've gotta say, this one was really hard for me to do.  I really don't pay any attention to celebrities--I don't read those kinds of magazines, watch those kinds of TV shows, any of it.  I don't have a sense of any celebrities and what they wear except as shows up on some of the blogs I read...which is where I turned in desperation when I got this prompt. 

The Outfit Posts blog always shows an inspiration photo with every outfit, so I went there and worked back through the archives until I found a celebrity outfit that was work compatible, weather compatible, and consisted of items I have (reasonable substitutes for) in my closet.  I settled on this post from 9/24/14 with a photo of Jessica Alba in black pants, black polka dot blouse, and pink jacket.


And here is my version with standard flat-front regular length trousers instead of pleated cuffed crop pants (uh, no...even Jessica Alba is barely pulling that off with her long thin legs and high heels), a more colorfully dotted black shirt (that I shortened to be a more useful length than its original almost crotch length--Target, what are you thinking with these really long shirts?--anyway, yay for doing clothing alterations), and a magenta blazer in an entirely different shape.


Black/pink/white knit top (thrifted, Target--newly shortened)
*Magenta 3/4 length sleeve knit jacket (thrifted, Ann Taylor)
Black-on-black striped pants (thrifted, JCP)
Black pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom)
Gold chain link necklace (Ann Taylor)

Verdict:  I loved this outfit!  It was comfy and felt pretty polished and snazzy.  I don't think I ever would have put these items together without the Jessica Alba outfit inspiration photo.  (And bonus, I pulled out a jacket that I've had for a little while but hadn't gotten around to wearing until I was specifically on the search for a pink jacket to match the photo.)

This makes me think that using celebrity outfit inspiration photos is a good idea, especially since the Outfit Posts blog is doing all the work of curating the photos, selecting inspirations that are relevant to normal women with normal jobs.  I like that she shows both the inspiration photo and her own outfit photo because that's really two inspirations in one.  Of course, there are a lot of blogger (not celebrity) outfit posts I could use as inspiration as well.  I'm thinking it would be fun, after this 31 day challenge is over, to create my own blogger challenge, where I use outfit posts from bloggers I follow to inspire a series of my own outfits.

2 comments:

jen said...

Nice. I like that even though the result was very different, I can see the inspiration. It's easy to get hung up on the details (like, I would never wear heels! or, pleats would look awful on me!)

I guess Jessica Alba is running a company now, which I only know because she was on the cover of Fast Company or something, so that helps too. We don't see a lot of celebs wearing business professional attire, do we? (oh right, I don't pay attention either, so who knows!) Of course, what do I know, I wore yoga pants today....

Sally said...

Huh, I didn't know that about Jessica Alba. Perhaps I can expect to see more inspirational photos of her business style.