Sunday, November 2, 2014

Could Not Get Comfortable

Abandoned Book: Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood

I couldn't get into Oryx and Crake (the first of the MaddAddams series), despite its excellent reviews, and so have not read Atwood's recent books.  But I decided to give this book of short stories a try.  Well....couldn't get into it either.  I actually read the first 2 stories (the first didn't really go anywhere, the second one the main character was annoying), half of the third story (both characters were annoying and boring), skipped the fourth story because the physical description of the girl creeped me out, and read the fifth story (better, but it also really didn't go anywhere).  At that point, I just decided, meh, what's the point.

I cannot deny that Atwood's sentences were excellent, and she did limn characters that were distinctive (if unpleasant and uninteresting).  But I was unsatisfied with how the stories just ended, leaving you like, Um, okay.

The Last Target Necklace -- Tuesday, 10/21/14

This button up blouse has a very clever fix for the common gaping-at-the-bust problem: the center where the buttons and buttonholes are has been sewn down.  I like how this necklace encouraged me to wear red shoes with the outfit, which I would not have otherwise done -- I liked the effect.


*Turquoise animal print blouse (thrifted, Express)
*Black pants (thrifted)
Red buckle flats by Me Too
*Turquoise/red necklace (Target)

I didn't like the necklace when I first saw it, but it looks better on.  After wearing it for a day, it really grew on me.  (Luckily, not literally.  You know, Margaret Atwood could write some top-notch pages of writing based on this premise, but I don't think that story would go anywhere either.)


No comments: