Friday, November 14, 2014

Oblivion, Begin Again

Part of the reason I got ahead with pre-planning my workweek outfits was so I would have more time on the weekends to play Oblivion.

I saw a couple weeks ago that the game developers had announced the new Elder Scrolls game would come out in March...2016.  Sigh.  Ever since then, I've been jonesing to play another Skyrim-like game, and finally decided, well, for $25 I can buy Oblivion with all the add-ons and give it another shot because I never even finished the main quest line when I first played it (nor did I start the Dark Brotherhood quest line, nor did I have any of the add-ons).  So I started playing Oblivion again the weekend before the snow/ice storm on 11/10.

When the news about the storm and the accompanying cold weather (not expecting temperatures to reach 32 degrees for the next 10 days that Wunderground was willing to forecast), I had to scramble a bit with my outfits (without taking enough time to interfere with my Oblivion playing).  I wasn't sure whether this one would be warm enough as planned, or whether I would need to try layering another shirt underneath.

I am playing a male character for the first time, a Nord.  I know, a Nord would have been more appropriate for Skyrim but I enjoyed playing an outsider character in that game (a mixed-race black woman in a male-dominated Nordic culture).  My Nord character in Oblivion goes by the name Sven (obviously not his real name, but he's got reasons to want to sound anonymous as he makes his way around the capital).  One of the Nord's characteristics is a resistance to cold, so we'll see if I can take on some of this ability in real life this winter through sympathetic magic.  Poor Sven is eventually going to be spending a lot of time in Oblivion (i.e., the pits of hell), which is a place where his cold resistance is not exactly going to be useful unless, you know, hell freezes over. 

Day 11:  Pick an Outfit Formula -- Tuesday, 11/11/14

(Note: I originally typed "Pink an Outfit Formula," which is also an appropriate title, actually.)

As you know, I love the simplicity of patterned blouse with black and a bright color or colors, a cardigan or jacket in one of the colors from the blouse, and black pants and shoes.  So I chose that as my outfit formula to create a new version of for this challenge.

(I added black socks and a black scarf to this to make it a bit more below-freezing-temperatures compatible, but this is the basic concept.)

I'm a bit disappointed that the bright pink in the shirt looks dark coral instead of pink in the photo, but you'll just have to trust me that they matched. Matchy-matchy is pretty much the basis of this formula.


Black/white/coral/pink blouse (Kohls)
Pink drape cardigan (Macy's)
Black pants (thrifted)
Black pointy-toed flats
(Not pictured: Black scarf from Target)

Verdict:  A bright cardigan in fall/winter is cheerful and fun.  I liked it.  Adding a solid colored scarf is a nice way to warm up the formula -- black was a good choice in this case, but other colors could work with other combinations (I have a few solid colored scarves it would be good to put into more regular use).

No comments: