Thursday, November 13, 2014

What To Wear on the First Snowy Day of the Winter

Thanks to the typhoon and global warming, we got a mix of snow and ice Sunday night through Monday, so I had to pull out a pair of snow boots, some gloves, and the brand new ice scraper/brush/toy light sabre that Robert bought me.  I wish I'd thought to wear a hat and warmer gloves because my car was coated in ice after work, and it took a while to get it all off.  My fingers got pretty cold in the process.  (Also: definitely got some exercise there.)  But hey, when I got in to drive, I turned on the seat warmer and that was nice.  I turned it off after about 3 minutes, but I enjoyed testing it out.  (I also took a heating pad to work because I read on Capitol Hill Style that sitting on a heating pad is a great way to warm up in the office, and from Leopold Rex's experiences sitting on a heating pad when he was sick, I know that a heating pad = warm buns.)

So, when the forecast changed suddenly on Friday, it meant that I had to revisit the outfits I'd already preplanned for the week.  (That's what I get for being so freaking organized, eh?)  Moving this outfit up (that I'd already gotten together for the following week, I know, it's nuts) was easy-peasy.  I wanted something with a couple of layers, with pants, that would be cozy and simple.

Day 14: Pinspired -- Monday, 11/10/14

I have a fairly wimpy Pinterest account, but when I bought my forest green trousers for work (about a year ago), I felt so clueless about color pairings that I pinned a few photos.  One of them was of olive pants instead of forest green, and when I saw it and remembered the olive pants I'd recently thrifted (finally: I am a huge fan of olive pants and I can't believe it took me so long to find any -- I just didn't like that 99% of them available new in stores are skinny ankle pants), it was a no-brainer.

Here's the pinspiration photo:


Note that she's wearing baggy pants, not skinny pants even.  I can do this.

I did not have a big brown belt, or what appear to be brown ankle boots, but I picked up some of the warmness of the brown color in my grey/white/black/coral scarf.  (Note that I also put on a pair of black socks before heading out to work!  I think the days of no-socks are done for the season.)



*White long-sleeved T (Lands End)
*Olive green pants (thrifted, Coldwater Creek)
Black cardigan (Walmart)
Grey/white/coral scarf (Target?)
Black button shoes (thrifted, Franco Sarto)

Verdict:  This was comfy and plenty warm enough in my office (I did not need to sit on a heating pad).  It's a pretty basic outfit, but the key inspiration of the photo was to add a grey/white scarf, which would not have been my natural choice.  I'm looking forward to wearing these olive pants again.  I've already got the main pieces for my next olive pants outfit picked out.  If one of the pairs of brown/cognac/beige booties I've ordered from the Nordstrom sale works out, I'll be doubly happy.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I love olive green pants with a light blue blouse/top.

Sally said...

Good suggestion! I have a couple of light blue tops that could work.