Tuesday, November 11, 2014

On a Grey Theme

Book Review:  The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
 
4 stars

This is not a complete retread of Outlander, though it clearly has several things in common: it's a historical romance with a mix-up of modern day heroine and the Scottish independence movement of the 1700s.  But it does not use the straightforward time travel trope of Diana Gabaldon's novels.  It has a somewhat different SF/fantasy/supernatural thing going to connect the current day to the historical events. If Outlander rang your bells, I think you're likely to enjoy this one, too. 

Day 6: Color, Pattern, Texture, Shine -- Thursday, 11/6/14

Since color is not an area I struggle with, I opted to focus on the other 3 aspects of this prompt and keep everything neutral, using the hue of the winter sea as my starting point.  (Note: I would have frozen my ass off if I'd been visiting the setting of The Winter Sea in this outfit, but fortunately I stayed here in the relatively comfortable Snow City autumn.) [Boy, what a difference a few days make.]

Pattern: grey leopard print
Texture: suede snakeskin booties
Shine: necklace

Another thing to note here: man, grey is a hard color to match!  I think all these shades of grey work nicely together but they certainly do not match.

Also, yep, I've broken down and ordered some more boots for the fall/winter season.  I also topped this with my black moto jacket to wear if/when I got chilly in the office.  (It seems that grey animal print + black moto jacket is a favorite combination of mine.)

It's surprising for me to realize that this outfit doesn't have any thrifted items in it -- that's unusual.


Grey leopard knit top (Kohls)
Grey knit skirt (Target)
Grey leggings (Kohls)
*Grey suede snakeskin booties by Seychelles (Zappos)
Sparkly black necklace (Kohls)

Verdict:  Fun, fun, fun.

No comments: