Friday, October 17, 2014

Good (And Bad) Things Occurring in Twos

Two books I started to read but just could not capture my interest:

(1)  The Rise and Fall of Great Powers by Tom Rachman -- It really felt like I should have enjoyed this book based on its description and the reviews, but even after reading several chapters, I wasn't feeling it at all.  I liked reading the 1-star reviews on Amazon just now and concur with the general opinion of these reviewers: the characters are uninteresting, nothing seems to happen.  Bored now.

(2)  Summer House With Swimming Pool by Hermann Koch -- I sort of liked his book The Dinner (3 stars), but I could not get into this one.  I think much of the problem was that the protagonist seemed like a major-league asshole without any compensating features like being really interesting or unusual in some way.  He's a doctor who hates people, especially his own patients, and talks about that in a very tedious manner for a good while.  (I was basically repulsed by his repulsion by the myriad ways in which his patients' bodies are imperfect.)  Then he orchestrates a camping vacation with his wife so that he can hit on one of his patient's/friend's wives (a dickhead move).  I couldn't make myself continue reading even to figure out where the whole murder things comes into it.  That patient/friend apparently ends up dead, and the doctor is accused of malpractice, but maybe it was murder...ah, who the fuck cares what this douchebag is up to.

Grey Leopard, A Reprise -- Saturday, 10/4/14

I know these curvy-fit jeans are dangerously close to Mom Jeans territory, but I can't be bothered to care.  Getting jeans that fit my bod is tough, and the whole skinny jeans (and now boyfriend jeans) kick the fashion world is on is not friendly to me. 

I wore the same grey leopard scarf and flats are I did earlier in the week with the blue-green button up shirt and made it weekend-happy with jeans, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and a fun jacket.


White long-sleeved t-shirt (Lands End)
Black moto jacket (JCP)
Grey jeans (Kohls)
Grey leopard flats by Fergilicious (6pm.com)
Grey leopard scarf (Target)

Scarf and Necklace, A Reprise -- Monday, 10/6/14

I could not resist the opportunity to do my signature "simple necklace with tie-like scarf over a button up shirt" again.



And I'm pairing stripes with dots.  Happy happy pattern mixing.


*Blue/aqua/white/black striped button up shirt (thrifted, JNY)
Black 5 pocket pants (thrifted, Rafaella)
Blue polka dot scarf (Target)
Single strand pearls (Macy's)
Black pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom)

2 comments:

mom said...

I love the polka dots with the stripes. Very visually interesting. And I love blue!

Sally said...

Thanks, I liked how it turned out.