Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Americanah

Book Review: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


5 stars

I just saw this book on BookPage's list of the best reading group books.  I read it a few months ago and it was amazing.  The protagonist is a Nigerian immigrant to America, who becomes a keen observer of racial issues in the US as discussed on her blog "Raceteenth or Various Observations About American Blacks (Those Formerly Known As Negroes) by a Non- American Black," which I totally wish was a real blog, and has a lot of feelings about her ex-boyfriend (now a big shot in London) to process.  

Sick Weekend #1 -- Saturday, 9/27/14

After missing two days of work, I decided to try to put an outfit halfway together for a weekend spent sitting in my comfy chair and continuing to read all kinds of good books.  This was a last hurrah for this t-shirt, which had developed tiny holes near the hem in front. 


Aqua t-shirt (thrifted, Banana Republic)
Blue striped cardigan (Kohls)
Denim skort (Dockers)
Grey comfy mary janes (dating from my 2-mile commute to campus)

Sick Weekend #2 -- Sunday, 9/28/14

Yep, my illness had me feeling blue all weekend.  Ba-dum-DUM.

What goes with blue stripes?  More blue stripes!


Blue/white striped t-shirt (Target)
Denim skort (Dockers)
White short-sleeved cardigan (Nordstrom) -- yes, this is like one of my favorite things ever
Blue striped sneakers (Rocket Dog) -- another favorite thing
Wild bead necklace (Macy's)

2 comments:

Tam said...

My weekend clothing is like ... pajamas ... and then I put on some pants and a t-shirt to go to the store ... and then pajamas again ... and then I took a shower and put the pajamas back on.

Sally said...

Hah, is it at least different pajamas sometimes?

I must have a higher tolerance than most people for wearing "real clothes." I read fashion blogs where women talk about not having any outfits to post because they were in yoga pants all weekend or about what are the best sweatpants for wearing in the evening after work, and I'm like -- huh, I go to work and come home and change into PJs when it's time for bed. I don't even change into jeans.