Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Oily Gums

I went to the dentist (in downtown Snow City, about 25 minutes walk from my apartment) yesterday afternoon -- and oh, it was a really lovely day to walk, about 73 degrees, sunny, a cool breeze, the kind of July afternoon that you could sell in a bottle to Texans and make a gazillion dollars.  I was wearing jeans, people, and I wasn't hot.  This is solid gold.

Anyway, all was well with my teeth, and I was very pleased that my gums are healthier -- all of my measurements were either the same or improved from when they checked me out a year ago.  Given that the secular trend is for the situation to deteriorate, my improvement is particularly awesome, and I'm about 99.9% convinced that it's the extra omega-3 fats in my diet (and the increased omega-3 to omega-6 ratio) that's making the difference. 

All the more reason to keep taking my krill oil pills daily, eating fish regularly, and having flaxseed oil for breakfast as often as my stomach can tolerate it.  I recently bought some of this blackened salmon (C Wirthy brand) at Walmart, and I really enjoyed it.

4 comments:

jen said...

Nice. We've finally gotten Rick to take fish oil regularly by getting the "burpless" kind. It's funny, but he got to where he refused to take it because he couldn't stand burping up fish. I guess flaxseed oil would be another alternative.

mom said...

I've heard that swishing your teeth with coconut oil is supposed to help, too.

mom said...

Although, Sally, you probably shouldn't use coconut oil if you have reactions to it on your skin.

Sally said...

I ran out of krill+fish oil last week and started taking regular fish oil, and it didn't seem to be nearly as effective with my inflammation issues -- I had more joint pain than usual, for example. So mom, thanks for that suggestion. Flaxseed oil works well but be warned that it tastes NASTY. I really can only make myself take it using a swimmer's nose clip and swishing my mouth out thoroughly with water before removing the clip. I agree that coconut oil is probably not a good choice for me, but it might be good for others.