Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Weird Feeling Week: Part 1

There's no really good reason that this past week felt so strange.  I was home sick from work on Wednesday, which probably explains a lot of it -- the second half of the week was weird because it was sort of like the beginning of a week, but not.

On Thursday and Friday, I was also trying to accomplish something at work that I couldn't really do completely yet until a person who was out of the office was back to answer some questions, so I spent a lot of time doing groundwork, setting up reports in different ways that we might eventually want, putting in all the lookups and calculations, etc., without having the actual data to work with (I just used dummy data for this purpose).  This has overflowed into my weekend dreaming as well.  I have an Excel sheet that looks like a report but all the data are replaced by asterisks (indicating too small a sample size to report results) because I don't have any of the data yet, and last night, I dreamed that I was at a job where I was comparing my asterisk-full/data-free report to someone else's totally empty report, and we debated the merits of the asterisks vs. empty cells.  Tomorrow I should get some clarity on this.

Maybe another reason it felt strange was because we had some really hot weather.  On Monday, it was like 95 degrees!  It cooled down to about 87 on Tuesday, and then to our more typical 80ish degrees. 

To summarize, it was a weird Monday-Tuesday because it was unusually warm.  It was a weird Wednesday because I was home sick instead of at work.  It was a weird Thursday-Friday because I was creating data-free hypothetical reports in what felt like a fresh 2-day long week.

Dressing for Serious Heat -- Monday, 7/21/14

The forecast was for a high of 97 degrees, so I decided a t-shirt and a cotton skirt was in order.  (I remain very happy with how these t-shirts I shortened to wear with skirts are working out.  Wearing a t-shirt to work feels more acceptable when it has been tailored to fit well.)  I liked bringing out the brown in the skirt this time -- when I wore it before, I paired it with a chunky coral sweater. 



I did subtly play up the orange color in the skirt with this floral necklace.


Brown v-neck t-shirt
Pink/brown/orange skirt (thrifted)
Brown flats
*Mixed metal flower necklace (Kohls)

It's cool that I have finally built up my wardrobe to the point that I usually have all the pieces I'm looking for to put an outfit together -- in this case, I was like, OK, I want to wear this skirt, let's find my skirt-compatible brown t-shirt and brown flats, got it, done.  I know a lot of people handle this outfit creation process by focusing on particular neutrals/colors, but that's never worked for me -- I really don't think that kind of limitation is my speed in general (I want all the colors), but it really isn't compatible with a thrifting-centric shopping style.  If I see something awesome that fits and it's $5, I don't want to be like, Oh, well, too bad this fabulous skirt has a print with brown [the neutral I would be least likely to select for building a wardrobe] instead of black or grey, I guess I have to put it back even though it would totally be THE BOMB. 

Instead I've reached the point where I pull out a great looking skirt, realize that I already own a skirt that's similar to it, and put it back.  This happened to me last Sunday in the skirt racks -- as I was waiting in line to try on skirts, I decided put back several of them because I do not need any more brown cotton skirts with a subtle pattern on them.  (I already have two of these I have not yet worn, I think -- oops.)  It was kind of hard to do this with the two brown Ann Taylor skirts but I did.  (This weekend was crazy -- someone my size who loves Ann Taylor had donated quite a few things.  Score.)  Of course, I am totally cool with trying on something I know is a close duplicate to see if I think I like it better than the version I have at home.  I sometimes buy something and then upgrade to a better version, re-donating the original one.  This is not a big deal when the items are between $1.50 and $8 or so.  But Robert was waiting on me this past weekend, so I did a more thorough editing job before going to the changing rooms to save time.

Yet More Flowers, More Bright Pink -- Tuesday, 7/22/14

We had a workshop all morning in a conference room that is noticeably cooler than the offices where we work upstairs, so I covered up a sleeveless dress with a lightweight jacket.  This was just right.

It was a bit odd to realize I have two hot pink dresses.  This one, sleeveless and more fitted/sheath in style, and the one I've worn before, with cap sleeves and more of a fit-and-flare shape.


*Sleeveless hot pink knit dress (Target)
Pink/white/black jacket (thrifted)
Black wedges (thrifted)
Single strand pearls (Macy's)

2 comments:

mom said...

Hope this week feels more normal. Amazing how quickly one adjusts to working full time, so that it feels weird not be at work during the week. You looked fab, as usual!

Sally said...

Thanks. I think part of it is that years of school have trained me into showing up, no matter what. In my grad programs, you did NOT miss class unless you were at death's door with illness (like, hospitalized) or at an academic conference. For the 2 years I took classes and then 3 years of grad school, I did not miss class a single time. It's kind of strange to be back in this normal situation where illness happens, and it's usually not a big deal to stay home sick. I mean, people with normal jobs can call in sick because their child or pet is sick! Amazing!