Friday, July 18, 2014

Independence Week: Part 1

I prefer to pepper these outfit posts with comments about my day, but I feel a million years removed from the end of June and have no idea what was going on around then....other than the fact that I was getting dressed and going to work, so I guess that's good.

Oh!  Speaking of peppers...I've been eating the most monkey-simple to prepare roasted vegetables this week.  Grocery stores (well, Wal-Mart and Trader Joe's I know for sure and I'm guessing others) sell packaged veggie kabobs in the produce section ready for summer grilling.  Those of us without grills can slide the pieces off the kabob, oil up, and roast in the oven.  Mmmmmm.  It's so good that this week I have substituted the veg for my after-dinner dark chocolate serving.  I mean, seriously, that must be good.  (Don't worry!  I still eat dark chocolate after lunch at work, so I'm doing my part to keep Lindt in business.)

Easy Kitty -- Monday, 6/30/14

This is the most basic outfit I've worn in a long time.  Not even a necklace.  But with a leopard print blouse, it's not boring.

These warm summer days when you don't need socks, a jacket, anything like that -- it's so easy it feels almost like cheating.  Luckily it's not been so hot that I'm trying to figure out how to make a cotton sundress look business-casual appropriate without adding layers.  (I also am totally leaving the wearing of cotton crop pants and sandals to other people.  I see people coming to my workplace dressed this way -- though no one in my department -- and I think: Why?  It's 70 degrees today.)


*Short-sleeved leopard print blouse (Kohls)
*Black linen pants (thrifted) -- these are lined and super-nice
Black mary janes

Another Example of a Simple Formula -- Tuesday, 7/1/14

Black pants and a shirt with black in the pattern, add black shoes, add pearls.  Done.


*Blue/white knit long-sleeved shirt (thrifted)
Black pants (thrifted)
Black pointy-toed flats
Single strand of pearls (Macy's)

An Outfit Not Based on the Formula -- Wednesday, 7/2/14

I got a little more complicated with this outfit, eschewing black and patterned pieces both.  It was cool enough to justify a jacket, which was a nice change.  I was inspired (in a vague way) to mix this bright blue-green blouse with the toned-down neutral jacket after seeing this woman's neon and neutral outfit.  This type of contrast is not something I would normally gravitate toward, but I liked it.  However, I expect that we'll next see this bright top worn with other brights...or, you know, black.  Or both.


*Blue-green shift blouse (Nordstrom)
Dark 'denim' pants (Kohls)
Grey leopard wedges
Grey ponte jacket (Target)
Grey/black bead necklace by RB

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mom said...

I liked both of the simple to put together outfits. You looked cool and collected!

Sally said...

Thanks!

jen said...

Really liked that last one!