Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Life After Fussball: Part 1

I didn't watch a lot of the World Cup, but I did see some of it and I followed the games.  Not only is Robert a soccer fan (and ex-high school varsity player, a fact which draws me up short whenever I think of it, since he doesn't have that ex-jock vibe that, say, my dad does) but three of the guys in my department are also ex-players and fans.  (Actually, at least one of them currently plays every week in a casual league.)

One day the guys at work were discussing the World Cup before a meeting (this happened before every meeting during the World Cup), and as they were debating the merits of Chile vs. Brazil as potential winners, I mentioned that I thought Germany should win.  Now, as you may recall, I have a strong tendency to choose long-shot teams to win tournaments on the rationale that (1) it would be cool and (2) there's no point in backing a likely winner.

So now I can say, Yes, it was cool for Germany to win and for me to be in the rare position of having called one of these things right.  I even watched the game...while hand-hemming 3 pairs of pants.  I know, it took me like an hour to do each pair--getting these professionally done seems a bit like a bargain when you take your time into account--but I was watching the game anyway, so I feel like it was worth it.  And now I finally have grey pants to wear!

A Pair of Pants I Did Not Hem -- Monday, 7/14/14

When I tried these pants on again to decide how much to hem them, I realized that as long as I wore them with this pair of brown wedges, they were a reasonable length already.  Since I would probably wearing them with these shoes 90% of the time anyway, that seemed good enough for me to move them out of the hem pile and into the wear pile immediately.

I enjoyed wearing this shirt--with its black and brown/beige colors in the print that are characteristic of this line of shirts I bought at Kohls--with brown instead of the more expected (for me) black pants.


*Beige-brown pants (Kohls)
*Blue/brown/white shirt (Kohls)
Blue-green cardigan (Macy's)
Brown wedges (thrifted)
Light blue necklace (Jones New York)

A Pair of Pants I Did Hem -- Tuesday, 7/15/14

The weather turned a bit warmer than I expected, so I changed this outfit up at the last minute to go jacketless.  With a pair of legitimately grey pants in hand, it seemed like a good time to play more with radiant orchid.


*Grey Rafaella 5-pocket pants
*White/"radiant orchid" striped shirt (thrifted)--this "ironless" shirt by Eddie Bauer is amazingly ironless, even when hung to dry; I was impressed
Orchid flats (Born)
Grey "planet" necklace (Macy's)

1 comment:

jen said...

I must admit, I was happy when the World Cup was finally over, since we aren't soccer fans (or sports fans in general)... but I also thought it was cool that Germany won.