Thursday, December 31, 2015

An Inappropriate Return to Autumn

...At the End of December--Thursday, 12/31/15

Today I have two inspiration photos that suggested a color combination--olive and orange/coral.

The first one also includes a sizable dose of white.

From youlookfab.com

And the second one likes tan/cognac boots.

From polyvore.com

I included white in the form of a scarf and wore my outfit with tan ankle boots.  By no means a fashion-forward ensemble, but definitely a comfy, semi-warm one.  (I think something around 75% of the outfits I make with these somewhat baggy pants end up in the "somewhat frumpy middle-aged schoolteacher looking but hey it's comfortable!" category.  Um, actually, I'm not sure what the other 25% would be.  Maybe it's closer to 100%...)


Coral pullover sweater (thrifted, Talbots), $0.83/wear+
Olive pants (thrifted, Coldwater Creek), $0.56/wear
White polka dot scarf (Target), $3.56/wear
Tan ankle boots by Easy Spirit, $8.24/wear

Outfit total: $13.19/wear

But I did enjoy wearing this color combination today, and the coral sweater brought out the slight rose-gold tint of the dots on the scarf in a way I hadn't noticed before.  Of course, wearing a cotton sweater would have made more sense a month ago, when it was still very much fall in Coldville, but it seems apt that I am closing out 2015 in my typical way, wearing a seasonally-inappropriate outfit. 


I am wearing a warming camisole underneath, and that helps.  Warm core, warm body, right?  Well, perhaps that's true in not-very-cold places like Colorado, but today I did feel a bit chilly in the arms at times.  (Note: one of the compensations of living in the frozen north in the winter is being able to talk smack about wimpy winter temperatures in places other people think of as "cold."  I'm sure there's an Alaskan blogging about the relatively balmy climes of my town right now.)  I am scheduled to do another outfit creation session tomorrow, and I think warmer clothes are in order for the coming weeks/months.  But hey, we are having an unusually warm fall/winter season so far, so I'm not complaining.  (Weather gods, do not seek to redress this issue!)

I am also wearing these dangling owl earrings that I picked up when my mom and I were out shopping for baby clothes.  I was going to purchase them for myself, but my mom bought them for me as part of my birthday present.  Sweet!

From stagestores.com

This Japanese harlequin thinks it's always the right time to wear orange on one's top half, and who dares argue with him?  (He's not so sold on the owls, though...)


In other news...Let's say farewell to 2015 with Dave Barry's Year in Review.

I have zero plans for celebrating New Year's Eve, other than I'm thinking that a small scotch will be in order later. 

This evening Robert is back on Skyrim after having to give it up for our vacation; he does not seem to have suffered from the withdrawal too badly.  He also has spirits on the agenda tonight--indeed, he reported to me a few minutes ago that he shot a ghost with a steel arrow, bringing its health down 85%, and the ghost said, "I sense a presence."  Nothing gets by that guy!  I said, "Actions speak louder than words."  Robert responded, "It was a pointed comment."

It turns out that I did not do the envelope stuffing project at work today because the co-worker in charge of it is in the hospital!  Her office mate said that she has recurring bouts of pneumonia and also a chronic thyroid condition, both of which could be hospitalization worthy issues at times.  Not a fun way to close out 2015.

But I did finish the reports I wanted to get done this week at about 4:15 and called it a day.  There were a whopping 3 people in my office by that point.  I almost never work during this quiet week but it was kind of nice in a way.  Next Monday, everybody in our organization is back from Winter Break, so we'll see how long it takes for people to start thinking, Data!  I need data!  I hope that my supervisor will distribute my reports on Monday morning--maybe that will fend off the ravenous hordes for a little while.

2 comments:

rvman said...

Re: Alaska, I will note that the high at the NORTH POLE yesterday was 33F. (That is, admittedly, something like 60 degrees above normal, but still, it was colder than the North Pole here.)

Sally said...

Good lord, that's nuts!