Wednesday, December 9, 2015

3 More Days

What to Wear When Interviewing for a Research Analyst--Wednesday, 12/9/15

The key elements of this inspiration outfit were striped shirt, black suit vest, subtly black/grey patterned skirt, tights, and black shoes.

From inthewriterscloset.blogspot.com
For my version, I used a burgundy striped button up shirt, a more fitted vest, and a new grey tweed skirt.


Burgundy/black/grey striped button up shirt (thrifted, Kohls), $2.00/wear+
*Grey tweed skirt (thrifted, Ann Taylor), $7.50/wear+
Black suit vest (thrifted, JCP), $1.33/wear
Grey tights
Black heeled oxfords (thrifted), $1.00/wear
Silver chain link necklace from Mom

Outfit total: $11.83/wear

This photo gives you a better sense of the colors/patterns/textures involved.  I was really pleased with how it turned out.


In other news...I am linking to this article about the significance of people's names mostly because it reminded me of a conversation Robert and I overheard at The Cocoanuts this weekend.  (The people seated directly behind us were talkative and opinionated before the show and during the intermission.)  One of the people involved in the production has the first name Tree, which was considered amusing and ridiculous by this group as they were looking over the program.  The woman in the group (in her 30s, I think) was like, "Tree, that's ludicrous.  I'm going to call you...Sally.  Sally, that's a nice name." 

Now we know the secret of my success.  My familiar name, that people can process with great fluency, and yet that doesn't remind them of their overbearing relative, or their annoying next door neighbor, or that bitch they knew in high school.  Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Both of the candidates we interviewed today were men with common, standard white American names.

2 comments:

mom said...

I really like this outfit on you. It looks great! You've got the vest over blouse action down!

Aren't you lucky to have discerning parents who gave you such an awesome name.

Sally said...

Thanks! I'm all about the vests.

I really am lucky with my parents in a lot of ways :)