Friday, November 24, 2017

The Tortoises and the Hares

#NatureTwinning Part 11:

Leopard Tortoise--Wednesday, 11/8/17

It'd been a while since I'd worn this skirt, so I decided to try it with my new blouse that I'm wearing with everything plus some kick-ass accents.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $13.48


I felt a bit like one of these bad boys--leopard printed, slow moving yeah, but utterly awesome.  This is a good one for clicking on the photo for the screen-sized view.  My pic doesn't really do them justice but these guys are amazing.  They are the fourth largest species of tortoise in the world with typical adults reaching 16" and weighing 29 lb.  And they pack a lot of attitude. 

Henry Doorly Zoo

One thing that really hit home with me on this zoo tour is that I love turtles.  I could not get enough of watching them.  Of course it's well established that I am a fan of Clyde from Elementary, for example, and always get a little bit of this "well now I want a pet turtle" feeling when I watch it.  But the turtle obsession has gone into overdrive after seeing all the cool ones at the zoos.


Desert Cottontail at Desert Dome--Friday, 11/10/17

I don't think I've tried my rabbit blouse with the cream colored vest, but it's a great combination you'll be seeing again.  I went low-key with dark brown leggings and tall boots and a denim skirt, so all the attention is on these lovely buns.

OCPW: $13.58


It is basically impossible to overstate how great the Desert Dome at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo is.  Some basic facts:  It is the world's largest indoor desert (84,000 square feet over two levels).  It is the world's largest glazed geodesic dome (137 ft above the main level and 230 feet in diameter with 1,760 acrylic windows).  Here's what it looks like on Google maps.


It features animals from 3 deserts: the Namib Desert of southern Africa, the Red Center of Australia, and the Sonoran Desert of the southwestern US, divided by a 55-foot tall mountain in the center.  At each transition from one zone to the next, we were sure we had reached the end and were quite happy and impressed with our experience...and then headed straight into more incredible stuff.

And the kicker?  The last animal in the exhibit is a desert cottontail rabbit.  I mean, come on!  Could this have been any more perfect?  Desert Dome, you rule the school.  And this bunny rules the Desert Dome.

I was lucky to get several good shots of him at his lunch before some kids rounded the corner loudly and he moved like a flash to a hidden area of his enclosure.

Henry Doorly Zoo

In other news...A while back Robert showed me this video of a real-life rabbit vs. tortoise race.  Does slow, steady, and chomping hay really win out over hoppy and furry?  The perennial question answered in 39 seconds.

No comments: