Friday, November 17, 2017

Impossible Stranger

#Nature Twinning Part 8:

Ruppell's Vulture--Monday, 10/30/17

This was the day I brought out my new purple coat for the first time.  I waited for a 50% off outerwear sale at Lands End and ordered a TON of coats.  Well, they may not have weighed literally a ton, but when we took the returns to Sears, they filled up 3 large boxes, and Robert had to go back to the car for the third box (because of the size, not the weight, though). 

This coat was on a special sale (50% off a discounted price), so it ended up costing about $90.  I have already received multiple compliments on it at work.

It was an accident that I was also wearing burgundy/maroon tights and ankle boots for the coat's debut, but it did make for an interesting tonal look.



The outfit underneath was a bit crazier with the whole bright green with maroon thing going, but I'm clearly not afraid to mix it up, color-wise.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW) $9.61 



For green, black, and a bit of maroon, here is a huge vulture hanging out on the grass.  Dead things, beware.  Or I guess if you're dead, you don't care that much.  Living things, beware--this could be your future.

A fun fact"As scavengers, Rüppell's griffon vultures have the added adaptation of being able to consume rotten meat, even if it contains anthrax, botulism and cholera. Bacteria are then destroyed in the vulture's stomach. A large meal can last at least four days for these vultures."

Cincinnati Zoo

Lorikeet Red--Tuesday, 10/31/17

I know, it was Halloween and I didn't wear any orange with my black.  Will red do?  I guess we could characterize my "costume" as bad-ass bird lover.

OCPW: $6.95


To accompany an outfit featuring a red-with-black bird shirt and an overall tough look, this parrot with the goth-esque dramatic eye liner fits the bill. 

Indianapolis Zoo


Grumpy Old Moray--Wednesday, 11/1/17

I was very pleased to wear my new grey shirt/cardigan duo, which you can expect to see paired again.  Even though the colors don't match, I like it--I'm partial to outfits with several (not 50) shades of grey.  This one was especially nice due to the shoe/sock combination.  Happy pattern-mixing feet.

*Grey long-sleeved seamed T (JCP), $9.10
*Dark grey boyfriend cardigan (Loft), $29.70

OCPW: $46.65


I have no objective reason to think that this eel is either mean-tempered or ancient, but doesn't he just look ready to yell at some kids to get off his grass water?

Newport Aquarium

In other news...This week I completely inhaled the book The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak, which offered up a heaping serving of mid-80s young-teenager computer nerd nostalgia.  But...in many ways the book irritated me.  There's the fat-shaming, and the dude's asshole friends, and the really stupid thing the protagonist does to advance the plot (though I guess I'm mostly willing to accept that 99% of 14 year old boys are basically complete morons), and the twist that does more to confuse us about a character than it adds complexity to her.  So unfortunately, I can't fully recommend it, though I think those of us with a soft spot for the era will find things to enjoy about it.  But yeah, it's no Ready Player One.  (Of course nothing is another Ready Player One.  I will spend my life searching for one, though.)

However, I can recommend the web game based on the video game the characters invent in the book.  It's cute.  Check it out.

Speaking of 80s nerd nostalgia, have you been watching Stranger Things on Netflix streaming?  I avoided it the first season because I'd pegged it as a horror show.  But then when Netflix was advertising the second season just before it came out in October, I got curious about it again and decided to give it a try.  OMG.  So. Much. Fun.  The nights I wore the above outfits, I came home from work, had dinner, and spent the evening watching Stranger Things.  Yep, Halloween episode on Halloween, baby.  If you haven't yet watched it, I envy you the pleasure to be had ahead.

And for a little local tie-in, in an episode of season 2, one of the characters wears a hoodie that was sold in the 80s by the museum a few blocks down the road from our apartment.  The museum decided to re-release the hoodie and sold 16,000 of them in two weeks.  More funding for science education!  Mr. Clarke would approve.


No comments: