Tuesday, November 14, 2017

AssholeDad

Nature Twinning Part 6:

DeHaan Tiergarten Formal Planting--Monday, 10/23/17

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $14.25


They call the outdoor gardens adjoining the Indianapolis Zoo a tiergarten (i.e., animal park), which is a kind of amusing play on words.  It has a lot of different parts, but these formal plantings were one of my favorites.


They played up the "animal" aspect here with the cute statues at the corners.  Of course, I could not resist the rabbit statue (as he relaxes with his carrot)...


And the turtle statue was especially adorable as well.


Female Redwinged BB--Tuesday, 10/24/17

It's hard to tell from the photo, but this blouse has a lace-up section at the top that is interesting-enough looking for me that I did that thing I almost never do--skipped the necklace/scarf in this outfit.

*Black lace-up blouse (JCP), $18.74

OCPW: $26.82


Rock the vertical stripes, girls!  This blackbird is the last of my current wild bird photographs to share (from last May).  Yet another reason to look forward to our southern California birding trip in December...moar bird photos!

MWood Nature Preserve

In other news...My mom sent this post about a horrible piece in a parenthood column in Esquire called "I Don’t Care What My Son Becomes… As Long As He Isn’t Overweight."  What the actual fuck?  His over-the-top bigotry is bad enough--I mean, at one point he literally advocates killing all fat people and rendering them down for candles--but he's directing it at his four year old son.  It defies my comprehension that...
1) A person can really be as horribly bigoted as this,
2) Admit it in public,
3) In a magazine with a national audience,
4) About his own child,
5) Who one day will be able to read this horror for himself,
6) And probably not even be surprised because this asshole is his father who has been treating him like crap about weight/body size his whole life,
7) Unless the asshole's wife gets sick of this whole fucking thing and divorces his ass,
8) Apologizing in her mind profusely to both children that she stayed with the jerk this long,
9) And if she doesn't, she's pretty much signing on to his child abuse.

I think it's kind of creepy when people make a living off their children in any way--columnists, bloggers, whatever.  Commercializing your kids doesn't seem that great to me.  But this is taking the thing to a whole new level.  I'm actually surprised a mainstream magazine published it, rather than it appearing on somebody's AssholeDad blog.  So surprised that even though I trust the blogger who wrote about it, I googled the title to confirm that it did actually appear in the magazine as described...and it did, so I officially do not understand the world.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Esquire has not made any comment about the article or it’s backlash. Reading some of the responses to the backlash, some people didn’t think it was out of line since obesity is a problem. However, we can have dialogue about obesity without making it personal about a 4 year old boy, especially by his own father.

Sally said...

Well that sucks.

I can't imagine the mindset of people who think that crazy fatphobia and the fat-shaming of four year children is going to do anything good about the obesity "problem."