Friday, November 10, 2017

Challenging Bird

Nature Twinning Part 3:

Chinese Hibiscus--Monday, 9/25/17

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $24.26


I can totally see how the flowers on my skirt inspired this lovely bloom.

Missouri Botanical Gardens

Axolotl--Tuesday, 9/26/17

I was running late and didn't take an outfit photo, but I was wearing the white lace dottie top, black tipped blazer, purple pants, double strand pearls, and tan captoe flats.

OCPW: $18.61

What could be more appropriate than a salamander?  This strange dude is a Mexican salamander in the melanoid color variation.  Apparently this a "popular exotic pet" (I mean, I guess by some standard--not exactly a dog or cat level) that can die after a day's exposure to temperatures below about 61 F.  Temperatures above 75 F will kill them, too.  It ain't easy being an axolotl.

Newport Aquarium

A Bird That Drove Me Crazy Trying to Photograph It at the Desert Dome--Wednesday, 9/27/17

*Black straight leg jeans (JCP), $17.50

OCPW: $27.26


I seriously took about 30 photographs of this bird (or its various siblings).  I got this pretty decent shot when another visitor, who had seen me following and frustratedly attempting to photograph the bird, pointed out when it alit on this little tree.  I like that it captures the bird with a seed or something in its beak.  Note that the Google image search told me that the best match for this photo was "Beak."  Ummmm.  Actually, I think it's probably an orange bishop or a close relative.

The inspiration got the colors pretty much right, but managed to reverse them on the bird's body. 

Henry Doorly Zoo

In other news...well, 6 months out of date, not-exactly-news:  I can't pass up articles about companies positioning their brands with a veneer of hot-ethical-quality-of-the-moment.  In this case, it's about empathy, human connection, and other vague liberal-ish virtues in the age of Trump.

No comments: