Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Ah September

...Back when it was still summery.  I need to keep on top of these outfit posts better--it gets a bit depressing to see how recently we had weather in the 70s, now that we're in the 30s.

Looking at my zoo photos, it was amazing how my outfits inspired the creation of flora and fauna seen a couple weeks later on my trip.  I'll give outfit names that match the labels I put on the photos.  Let's see how we did! 

Nature Twinning, Part 1:

An Iris, I Guess--Monday, 9/18/17

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $6.45


Bright pink flowers, blue sky, touches of white and grey on the building, and golden yellow paint.  Nailed it.

Missouri Botanical Gardens

Scarlet Macaw and Blue and Gold Macaw--Tuesday 9/19/17

*Navy crochet top (Kohls), $24.99

OCPW: $30.42


Are these parrots kissing or what?  Add my blonde hair and this color scheme is about right.

Henry Doorly Zoo

Little Green Bird--Wednesday, 9/20/17

OCPW: $9.25


Most of the animals we saw on our trip I was able to identify when we got home (between my taking photos of zoo signs when possible and looking up things on the zoo websites later), but this avian gem is a bit of a mystery.  I even tried a Google image search, but the result was not right--this isn't a Mountain Bluebird.  But I guess I have to accept that some of the creatures I inspired into existence through my outfit process haven't yet been widely acknowledged.  You're welcome, Henry Doorly Zoo.

Henry Doorly Zoo

In other news...This was a great article about how the rise of the replication crisis in social psychology put one successful young experimentalist in the cross-hairs of some statistically-driven revolutionaries.

This observation/confession by one of the revolutionaries [a very familiar player in this drama; in grad school, I read several of his critiques of the field in my research methods in social psychology class] made me laugh in wry self-recognition:

“We realized entire literatures could be false positives,” Simmons says. They had collaborated with enough other researchers to recognize that the practice was widespread and counted themselves among the guilty. “I P-hacked like crazy all through my time at Princeton, and I still couldn’t get interesting results,” Simmons says.

If you can't join 'em, beat 'em?

In any event, every article like this I come across makes me gladder to be out of that whole thing. 

4 comments:

Mom said...

I wonder if the little green bird is not a native and escaped from the aviary.

Sally said...

Right, I'm pretty sure it's not native to the Omaha area--I might have seen it in the aviary, in fact.

rvman said...

I think it is a Blue-Gray Tanager, from central America.

http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/image/109124954

So yes, in the aviary.

Sally said...

Excellent! I agree, that's the bird.