Sunday, November 19, 2017

Like a Boy in Short Pants

#NatureTwinning Part 9:

Giant Owl on My Leg--Thursday, 11/2/17

I really enjoyed this bold color combination, but it was the pants/socks/shoes that took it over the top to perfection.  The cool trouser socks I bought a few years ago from Sock Dreams are still going strong!  (They're a very good source for interesting socks.)  Ankle pants + fun socks for the win.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $5.88


This dramatically-lit Giant Owl butterfly landed on me at the state fair.

State Fair

Pair of Humboldt Penguins in the Wild--Friday, 11/3/17

I seem to be on a roll lately with this whole "It's Friday, time to wear this white moto jacket" thing.

OCPW: $14.12


It was surprising to see these penguins outside in the 80+ F heat...until I realized that the species is from the coast of South America.  Turns out they were happier with the temperature than I was!

St Louis Zoo

Afternoon View of Climatron Dome and Reflecting Pool--Saturday, 11/4/17

I first saw this blouse on a blog I read.  I bought the black one and liked it so much that I placed a second order for this teal floral one that's identical to the top in the blog post

*Teal and black floral blouse (JCP), $18.74

OCPW: $28.47


One of the disappointments of my zoo trip photo stash is that I didn't get nearly enough blue flower pictures.  But this photo offers blue and white and flowers and other cool things.  I had tried to get a decent long-view photo in the morning, but there were too many other visitors taking their own photos.  But when we came by right at closing time, there it was, just for me.  And now you.

Note the amazing Walla Walla Onion hand-blown glass sculptures floating on the water.  These are a few of the Dale Chihuly pieces that they purchased for their permanent collection about 10 years ago.

Missouri Botanical Gardens

In other news...It's getting too chilly in Coldville for ankle pants, so this article spoke to me.  “We are living in ignorance of the inevitable fact that at some point, for our own health and safety, our pants will have to touch our shoes.”

3 comments:

Mom said...

You would love Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum in Seattle. Amazing glass sculptures!

If all new jeans are ankle length we will be forced to buy our jeans at thrift stores if we want jeans to reach long enough to help keep us warm! I don’t like the ankle length since it makes me look even shorter than I am, not to mention wider!

Mom said...

Also, love the blue blouse. It’s funny that we don’t see very many blue flowers. When I was planting flowers I almost never saw blue ones.

Sally said...

Oh wow, I looked up the glass museum and it looks incredibly awesome!

I wondered whether I had just somehow not photographed the blue flowers, but it sounds like they just aren't as common. Huh.

Oh interesting...it turns out that less than 10 percent of the 280,000 species of flowering plants produce blue flowers. This article discusses why:

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/the-science-of-blue-flowers

There is no true blue pigment in plants; plants have to modify red anthocyanin pigments to make blue flowers.

And now you know!