Monday, January 23, 2017

Disintegration of Soles

"Not As Layered"--Sunday, 1/22/17

From the queen of preppy layers comes this checked, spotted, vested casual outfit.

From respecttheshoes.blogspot.com

I had initially planned to wear a cream pullover sweater, but in the end, it just wasn't cold enough for it.  I know...what??  But we had highs around 40 F from last Wednesday to Sunday, so one layer of vest was enough.  (I even ended up ditching my socks at some point.  WTH.)


Pink gingham button up shirt (thrifted, Company Ellen Tracy), $1.12/wear
Olive quilted vest (thrifted, Relativity), $1.69/wear
Straight leg jeans (thrifted, Bandolinoblu), $0.10/wear
Olive leopard flats (Nordstrom Rack), $2.50/wear
Pink floral necklace (Target), $0.78/wear

Outfit total: $6.19/wear

With an inspiration photo from October 2015 and warm weather that let me dress like it's autumn, here is a shot of fall color at the dog park from last October.


"Monday's Bun is Full of Grump"--Monday, 1/23/17

Today's outfit had some hard to work to do to make me ready to face going to work.  I put my best bunnies on the job, but it was (almost) too much even for them.  I was running the flax oil nausea/fatigue/headache/nasal congestion combination that is more suitable for a sick day than a Monday, but there we are. 


Drapey maroon cardigan (Coldwater Creek), $1.87/wear
Cream/dark green rabbit blouse (Loft), $7.44/wear
Black shutterfold pencil skirt (JCP), $1.26/wear
Black tights
Black captoe flats (thrifted, Skyler), $0.93/wear
Gold crystal stone necklace (Loft), $10.40/wear

Outfit total: $21.90/wear

Good news--I had a project already underway, so I knew what I needed to do and had a bit of leftover momentum toward it from last week, which is always welcome on a Monday.  Bad news--this part of the project sucks.

When I sat down at my desk, I realized that I'd torn a hole in my tights on the left calf sometime after leaving my apartment.  It was that kind of day, you know?


This little rabbit is saying it all.


In other news...This weekend I was irritated because while out playing Pokemon Go, my foot got completely soaked from stepping in watery slush, despite the fact that I was wearing my all weather mocs.  When I got back to the car and checked the shoe out, I found that it was horribly cracked on the sole...just like Robert's pair of all weather mocs that he discovered last week had deteriorated to the point of having a hole in the bottom.  This reminded me of how the first time I wore an old pair of Born rubber-soled shoes to walk to school in Snowville, the soles fell apart entirely en route.  So my guess is that because Robert and I have had these mocs for many years, the soles had become brittle and with the winter Pokemon walking we've been doing recently, the cold had caused the soles to crack. 

I've been meaning to link to this article about the importance of recent graduates' college majors in understanding the Millennial employment situation forever, so now I am. 

5 comments:

Tam said...

A couple of years ago I was in Denver at Christmas and realized that my big snow boots are totally cracked across the front/top. I still wear them on the rare occasion that they are called for, because under the cracked part they have a thick insulating layer and it's foolish as a Dallas resident to buy new ones, but I'm guessing that's purely age too.

Sally said...

It's weird, isn't it? I mean, it makes sense, but it's not something I think about or have a tendency to expect to happen.

For the most part, I do not experience my clothes/shoes/etc. actually falling apart.

So of course, today, in addition to the hole and run in my tights on my calf, I discovered a tiny hole on the thigh and a widening hole at the waistband of my tights. But these are tights (that are pretty wimpy, more like relatively thick hose than actual tights) that I dug out of my dresser and didn't recognize at all, so they are probably ancient, too.

Sally said...

I do not, however, attribute their degradation to the cold weather at all...except to the extent that cold weather makes me wear tights and wearing tights is what tends to destroy them ;)

Jen M. said...

As I'm fitting prepregnancy clothes now I'm struck by how old some of them seem. Elastic stiff, etc. Some things don't store well I guess, even at normal temperatures.

Sally said...

Interesting, Jen, I wouldn't have thought enough time had passed for things to start breaking down.