Thursday, August 28, 2014

T-Shirt Week

I had a short week at work and filled it with lightweight skirts and t-shirts as summer wears itself down.

Painted Waste Canvas Skirt -- Wednesday, 8/20/14

The last (only) time I wore this skirt was to my cousin's wedding a year ago in June.  I guess it was time to wear it again.  One of my other cousins got married a couple weeks ago, so even though I was not there in person, I did wear my skirt that looks like somebody used it to remove extra paint from their paintbrush.  And if anything says Summer Wedding Festivities better than a skirt that appears to be made from (color-coordinated) rags salvaged from an artist's loft, I don't know what it is.


* Turquoise t-shirt (thrifted, Kohls)
Blue/black/white paint print skirt (thrifted, Christopher & Banks)
Black short sleeved cardigan (thrifted, The Limited)
Hammered silver necklace (Jones New York)
Black pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom)

Beige & Gold -- Thursday, 8/21/14

I hate wearing beige pants (beige Dockers or, oh god, beige crop chinos are the worst!) but I am really enjoying this beige skirt.  I wish the Snow City summer were going to last another couple of months so I could get more use out of it before we're all covered up in tights.


* Brown t-shirt (thrifted, Kohls)
Beige pleated skirt (thrifted, Old Navy)
Gold chain link necklace (Ann Taylor)
Gold pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom)

Yet More Gold Toes -- Friday, 8/22/14

This skirt is surprisingly versatile.  Here I picked out the light blue in the pattern (it's the outline of leaves to accompany the flowers, not obvious in the photo) with another recently thrifted t-shirt.  It was too long to wear with the skirt, and the skirt is too big in the waist so tucked in it looked very wrong, and I didn't have time to futz with trying to hem the shirt shorter---hence my lazy man's "tuck the shirt under and pretend it's hemmed shorter" look here.  This is a hit-or-miss approach.  In this case, it worked simply OK.  I got through the day but I had to rearrange the shirt more than I'd prefer.  I think I probably want to hem it for realz if I plan to wear it over a skirt in the future.  Or, you know, wait for it to warm up 10 degrees so I always wear a cardigan or jacket over the shirt and can tuck it into a big waisted skirt without it looking wonky.  Smart money is on the latter plan.


* Sky blue t-shirt (thrifted, JCP)
Beige floral skirt (thrifted, Kohls)
Cream captoe flats (Anne Klein)
Fish charm necklace (Ann Taylor)

Note:  I don't know how I managed to have identical poses for all three photos here, complete with hand on the hip.  By which I mean, the button on my camera requires a really surprisingly large amount of pressure to be applied in order to take a photo (even Robert has noticed this), so I'm often not even able to take a one-handed mirror photo without shaking the camera as I squeeze down hard on the button at the awkward angle, thus blurring the photo terribly.  I guess my arm and hand were atypically rock solid when I took these pics because the one-handers look OK.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I particularly enjoyed the fashion writing style for your first outfit!

Sometimes it's possible to tuck a shirt in, then pull it almost all the way out to look shorter.

Sally said...

Yes, good point - I have sometimes had success with that. I haven't been able to make it work when the skirt waist is too big, though - it always looks wonky and doesn't want to stay in place. Although it possibly depends on the fabric - the cotton knit and cotton woven fabrics here might have played well together.