Monday, August 25, 2014

Skirting the Issue: Part 1

What To Wear To a Community Meeting -- Monday, 8/11/14

One of my performance goals at work is to attend a community meeting once a quarter.  There was one at my building (super convenient; many of them are at different places around Coldville) on an interesting topic so I decided to stay late at work to attend.  I found it worthwhile to do, but man, I was tired when I got home at 8 p.m., and that tiredness kept dogging me all week.


* Beige linen skirt (thrifted, J. Jill)
Black t-shirt (thrifted, Talbots)
Black shrug (Target)
Leopard flats (Nordstrom)
Black tooth/claw necklace (Outfit Additions)

In Bloom -- Tuesday, 8/12/14

This skirt is extremely full, which makes it swishily fun to wear.  (But the zipper broke after I wore it once, and I'm just not into it enough to try to fix it -- back to Goodwill it goes, where maybe a more talented/patient/industrious shopper will take an interest.)


* White cotton blazer (thrifted, Liz Claiborne)
* Purple t-shirt (Hanes; shortened by me)
* White/purple/green floral pleated skirt (thrifted, Target)
Radiant orchid flats by Born
Silver pendant (thrifted)

Channeling the 1990s -- Wednesday, 8/13/14

Something about this embroidered midi skirt feels very 1990s to me.  (I thrifted it; perhaps it is from the 1990s.)  I decided to go all-in by pairing it with a cotton blouse that has subtle brown embroidery along the button placket.  Midi skirts are in fashion this season, but, seriously, not this way.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed this throwback outfit -- the lightweight fabric of both pieces made it cool and comfortable, and it felt very summery despite the dark colors.


* Brown cotton blouse (thrifted, JCP)
* Brown embroidered midi skirt (thrifted, Kohls)
Brown flats by Frye
Mud bead necklace by RB

4 comments:

mom said...

All three outfits are very nice. I liked especially the floral skirt. Too bad the zipper broke, that outfit looked really put together.

Debbie said...

When I first saw your brown outfit, I thought it looked super elegant. Actually, I still think that, but then maybe the '90s is like yesterday to me. Or maybe the embroidery probably doesn't stand out in the photo as much as it does in real life. I think the drape of the blouse and dress are quite flattering.

jen said...

I really like the second look too, but you have lots of great skirts, so I can see why it was easy to donate.

Sally said...

Yeah, it was too bad about the purple skirt!

Debbie - thanks! I think the embroidery is fairly subtle (for once, the photo represents something pretty accurately) - it was not any kind of full-on 70s type thing. There's nothing wrong with partying...er, working...like it's 1999, right??