Sunday, August 24, 2014

Fair Thee Well

Yesterday Robert and I went to the state fair where we took hundreds of rabbit photos and petted two sweet mini rex rabbits.  They did not have the usual gamut of buns for petting because we happened to be there during the 4H rabbit show, so the obliging kids and bunnies were very busy.  I was a little sad to have less pet time than usual, but I got to spend enough time with my hands on a crazily soft mini rex to be satisfied.  Aside from the rabbits, we looked at the state wildlife area, the crafts area, and the youth art section where my officemate's daughter had a painting on display.

We got a bit hungry during the morning and stopped around 11 a.m. to eat a coconut macaroon (Robert) and a "sweet dream peach" (me) from the organic fruit stand that has become our traditional fair snack choice.  As we were leaving at 1 p.m., my hunger had returned with a vengeance but I decided to go home and eat a normal lunch instead of trying to find something at the fair.  Shock of shocks, I even bypassed this impressive food offering.


My parents were in Snow City for a couple days last weekend on their way home from Canada, and they reported seeing this stuff in restaurants all over the place.  They didn't try it, though, so as tempted as I was to try it myself (ahem), in an act of solidarity, I didn't try it either.  The sacrifices I make.  Really.

As far as the rabbit photos go, I now have enough bunny pics to post a rabbit a day on Facebook for the better part of a year.  Prepare yourself.

UPDATE:  Oh, and it was absolutely lovely weather for the fair....by which I mean, overcast with cool breezes and temps in the 70s.  No heat stroke, no sunburn, no sweating through my clothes.  Fab.  The bunnies seemed to be enjoying the cooler weather also.  It was not until after noon that anybody put frozen water bottles in with their bunnies, and I'd estimate seeing only maybe a dozen bottles in total.  In the morning, we did see one little rabbit sleeping with his eyes open (always creepy!) in a labored manner, with a stiff position...just an overall something's not quite right way.  We reported his cage number to the rabbit people to check him out (which they did).  We looked in on the little guy again a couple hours later and he was still asleep, but seemed more relaxed and was breathing in a gentle/normal way.  That was a big relief.   I hope he's doing okay today and that his  new owners (he was for sale and was sold during the fair) are taking good care of him.

The one downside was that walking and milling and standing for all those hours made my feet and knees pretty tired by the time we got home.  I shudder to think what condition I'd be in if I'd worn flip flops (like people do) instead of my trusty hiking shoes.

4 comments:

mom said...

Poutine is made with brown gravy. If it were made with cream gravy, I might be tempted.

Sally said...

I admit, fries with cream gravy is one of the benefits of eating chicken fried steak/chicken in a restaurant. But the cheese curds???

jen said...

I didn't try the poutine when I was in Montreal either. I tend not to like my fries smothered in anything -- dipping, of course, is a different matter. But maybe we're all just missing out!

Sally said...

I am down with frites and mayonnaise but the idea of cheese AND gravy is just...nope, not happening.