Friday, April 25, 2014

Speeding By

It's hard to believe it's already Friday -- this week went by quickly.  I hope the weekend takes its sweet, sweet time.

Wednesday -- 4/23/14

I didn't plan out a week's worth of outfits this week, so I was having to put my clothes aside each evening before bed.  (I mean, technically I could figure out what to wear in the morning and find all the pieces and all that jazz, but I really don't have time to mess with it in the morning.  I need everything set up and ready to throw on.)  Ready List of Outfits to the rescue!  It was raining, so I picked an outfit with boots (which I have weatherized, so they were OK for walking across the parking lot).


I wore the scarf this time in a way that was vaguely reminiscent of, I don't know, a 1970s stewardess (you know, back when they were still called that) or something, but I still liked it.  The cobalt blue/purple color (I can't quite decide which it is, or if it's some delicious combination of the two) of the dress and scarf was a delightful matchy-matchy, and the scarf gets bonus points for incorporating a bit of black in the print, too.


*Cobalt/purple dress from Kohls
*Black collarless jacket from JNY
Silk scarf (thrifted)
Black leggings
Tall black boots by Fitzwell

Thursday -- 4/24/14

Another rainy day, even drearier than the last.  But I finally remembered to photograph my new trench coat that I bought for protection on rainy days.  It was difficult to find a tan trench coat that was long (like, longer than hip-length) but I got lucky with this one on my first try (thank you, Zappos).  You can also see me in one of my stand-by Lands End weatherproof shoes (that I commuted to work in).


For some reason, I really, really love long coats.  Partly, of course, it's practical for staying warm and/or dry (though a bit less for getting into and out of the car, hence the existence of the "car coat," I suppose).  But there's another aspect to it -- for some reason, it kind of makes me feel like a bad-ass, especially when the coat is worn open or partly open so it swirls around the legs a bit.  (I was all buttoned up in this picture, but I haven't really been wearing the trench or my long, lightweight black coat -- the two coats I've been wearing this spring -- that way.)  Maybe it's some kind of mixed up association with wizard cloaks and gunslinger dusters (even if it looks more like Columbo in this instance), but I love it.

Is there any type of clothing you wear that makes you feel (not necessarily look) bad-ass in some way?

I wore the lavendar shirt/buttoned-up cardigan that feels like an homage to my mom and Easter all in one with dark grey trousers, and I really liked the combination.  Lavendar + grey looks just right to me.  I remain super happy that I struck thrifting gold to find these two items (both from Eddie Bauer and a perfectly matched pair) on the same trip to Goodwill.


Lavendar striped button-up shirt (thrifted)
Lavendar cardigan (thrifted)
*Dark grey wide-leg trousers (thrifted)
Grey leopard wedges by Cole Haan
Silver chain necklace (gift from my mom)

Friday -- 4/25/14

Today the weather dried out and ended up rather warm by afternoon.  I was just shy of being too warm for about an hour during the afternoon in this cotton sweater, but I stayed in the "just fine" rather than "merely tolerable" or "getting uncomfortable" zones.  I know this orange and black thing can look very Halloween, but (a) I don't think Halloween is on people's radar the week after Easter, (b) it's really coral rather than orange, and (c) it's what I came up with to wear with my Seeley Booth striped socks, the item around which this entire outfit was built.  Well, the socks and the Dockers pants.  Last night I realized that unless (or let's face it, until) I want to start wearing jeans on Friday, I really need to get at least one pair of more casual (cotton) pants to wear on Friday that are not black.  (And also not tan because tan "chinos" is just somewhere I'm not willing to go, sartorially; I am not a cashier at Target.)  Oh, and (d) it worked well wearing my rust utility jacket over the outfit in the morning, and I don't get a lot of opportunities to pull that sucker out.  Perhaps oddly, I also wore my lion necklace even though I was wearing the scarf; when I removed the scarf in the heat of the afternoon, I liked revealing the whimsical animal necklace.


Coral pullover sweater (thrifted)
Black Dockers pants (thrifted)
Orange/red/black/green/yellow/etc. scarf from Target
Seeley Booth striped socks from Sock Dreams
Vintage lion necklace (thrifted)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Yes on the trench coats. They make me feel way cooler than I really am.

Also, I have this one muscle shirt, actually a perfectly fitting black tank top (with black lace insert) that makes me feel more macho than I really am.

Sometimes hats have a nice effect, too--not the practical kind I normally wear to keep the sun off and to keep my hair off my neck, but the kind that fly off in the wind like fedoras.

And whooshy skirts make me feel more energetic.

Sally said...

Yes, I had a black tank top for years that made me feel macho, too (one I made from a bigger t-shirt I got from work). On hats...I once borrowed a beret that made me feel much cooler than usual. I have not had that experience of whooshy skirts, but think that's great.