Thursday, April 17, 2014

Midweek Outfit Update

OK, people, it's been cold this week.  Not like finger-freezing mid-January cold, but below freezing every day before work (and yesterday, after work).  We have about an inch of snow on our balcony after yesterday's flurries.  In some ways this is great -- unlike 99% of the population of Snow City, I'm excited to be wearing my work-appropriate cold-ish weather clothes, but even I have this unsettled feeling like, Wait, tomorrow is Good Friday, and Sunday is Easter, and I'm still wearing a coat and wondering whether it's going to snow again tomorrow.  (It's not supposed to.)  I've had to switch up some of my outfits on the fly this week to account for the colder weather than I'd originally planned for.

Monday -- 4/14/14

The switch up here was adding this black ponte blazer from Target after realizing that a single layer of thin, silky blouse was just not going to cut it.  When I got to the office and it was cool inside, I was happy to have made this choice.


Black ponte blazer from Target
Red animal print blouse from JNY
Black-on-black striped pants (thrifted)
*Black and red fancy flats by Ivanka Trump

I was feeling the need for pointy-toed flats and ordered some from Nordstrom and Zappos, several of which were awesome ones that you will be seeing in the coming days/weeks.

Here's a ludicrously blurry close-up of these somewhat fancy shoes.  I would link to a better photo, but these seem to have sold out already (they were on sale).


There was a part of me that was like, Seriously, will you really wear a fancy looking pair of red and black flats often enough to justify buying them?  And the rest of me said, Fuck ya, I will.  Really, they are so awesome with this red animal print blouse that that kind of justifies the purchase to me all on its own, but any reader of this blog knows that red + black is one of my most common color combinations.

Tuesday -- 4/15/14

This one I believe I executed as planned, and I was mostly warm enough at work.  It was a simple evolution of an outfit I wore casually before; I just switched the jeans for these denim colored trousers and a new pair of grey trouser socks, and I was done.


Pink lace-front pullover sweater from Kohl's
Pink and grey 3-strand necklace (which I call the "pink planet" necklace in my notes) from Kohl's
Pink and grey striped cardigan (thrifted)
Light denim colored pants from Kohl's
Grey trouser socks from Sock Dreams
Grey leopard bow flats by Fergilicious

Wednesday -- 4/16/14

I had planned to wear this bottom half with a lighter-weight top half, but with the cold weather and snow already falling, I switched out a warmer version that I had already tried out and written down on my "ready outfit" list.  (That list is already proving its worth.)  I wore a pair of Lands End weather-resistant mocs to work and changed into these flats in the office -- they are covered in a satin-y fabric (which the website says is suede, OK) and ribbon, so kind of delicate for tromping across the snowy parking lot.


*Hot pink pullover sweater (thrifted)
*Pink and grey scarf from Target
*Pink and grey skirt (thrifted)
*Grey tights from Kohl's (Apt 9 brand)
*Grey pointy-toed flats with ribbon detail by Louise et Cie [adorable!]

So unless I mis-remembered something, this outfit was full of debut items.  Yay!  I bought the skirt and sweater on the same Goodwill trip and was excited that I was coming home with the backbone of an outfit and not two new pieces I wouldn't know how to wear (always a danger at the thrift store, especially).

3 comments:

mom said...

Glad you were able to put together some warmer outfits. We had snow spitting out of the sky on Monday, which really was crazy! It had been 85 on Sat and 43 on Monday.

jen said...

Funny, I just told Rick today that I never want to live somewhere it could snow in April.

Of course, instead, on any given spring or summer day, my outfit may transform from shorts and sleeveless top (walking dog) to shorts and sleeveless top with sweater, maybe scarf (inside working) to jeans and sleeveless top with sweater, jacket, and scarf (going outside in the evening).

Sally said...

Well, at least I can report that the weather here has been pretty stable, both on a day to day basis (unlike Mom's) and certainly within the day (unlike Jen's). It's warmer this weekend, and with luck, it will stay out of the snow zone for good. (Well, until October.)