Saturday, April 12, 2014

Business Casual 101

In the days leading up to starting my new job this past week, I put together a few outfits using my absolutely most brain-dead simple method of making up a business casual outfit -- the use of black patterned pieces with plain black items.

But first, a truly casual outfit.

More Fun With Stripes -- 4/1/14

This is probably going to be my last really casual purchase for a while (barring the availability of something as irresistible as, say, the Alice or Watership Down t-shirts or the determination that I'm lacking in stuff to wear when it gets really warm, as it will soon enough).  I got a great price on it, and it's a nice item for that inbetween kind of spring and summer weather we have in Snow City -- it's lightweight enough that wearing it with a short-sleeved or sleeveless t-shirt is not appreciably warmer than just wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt by itself, but with the additional flexibility that layering offers.


*Teal striped knit cardigan from Coldwater Creek
*Oatmeal t-shirt from Kohl's
Chunky stone necklace from Outfit Additions

Business Casual 101 Part 1 -- 4/2/14

Here is the most basic version of the formula:
* Black pants (or skirt)
* Black shoes
* Top with a pattern that incorporates black

The shirt is from the Kohl's 212 Collection, which appears to be designed with this formula in mind, given that almost all the prints they use -- even a light-colored one like this -- has black in it.  This is brilliant of them because I think black has to be the most common color for workplace staples like pants, skirts, and blazers to come in.  (I actually like the color black and like wearing it, but even I find that it's easy to end up too much black -- say, 6 black skirts and 7 pairs of black pants -- and difficult to find even one or two in grey or navy, the obvious alternatives to black for these items.)  And it can be hard (at least for me) to figure out how to pair spring-y and summery colors with black pieces on your own without it looking kind of weird and incoherent.  But add black to the pattern and it's a no-brainer.


*Coral and black shirt from Kohl's
*Black and white necklace from Kohl's

It's also easy to build on this formula by adding a topper (cardigan, blazer, jacket) in either black or, more interesting to me, another color from the shirt fabric.  This shirt is great because in addition to black, it has white and a tan/taupe color, both of which are also common neutrals.
 

*Grey/taupe ponte blazer from Target

Business Casual 101 Part 2 -- 4/3/14

Another version:
* Solid colored dress
* Black topper (blazer or cardigan)
* Scarf with black and the dress color in the pattern


*Hot pink dress from Lands End
*Hot pink/orange/black scarf from Nordstrom (I think)

Putting a bird on it is optional but does make your outfit extra awesome.  Also, it's kind of amazing how little black needs to be in the patterned piece to bring the outfit together.


A Casual Take on the Formula -- 4/4/14

I've put this idea forward with business casual because black is so common for basic pieces in the business casual wardrobe (taking the place that blue denim often takes in the casual wardrobe) but of course it works with a truly casual outfit, too.


Here I used the black in the animal scarf to match the black jeans and shoes.  The shoes look like Mary Janes, but they're not.  The black "strap" that kind of shows in this photo comes from these most excellent socks from Sock Dreams.


I call these my Seeley Booth socks.  (Are you thinking, "I don't know what that means"?  If so, good for you...and you're lying.  If not, time to get your Bones on, people.)  I'm looking forward to rocking them, Booth-style, at work with conservative black pants and my black oxford shoes.

3 comments:

mom said...

The socks are oddly reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz. In any case, you have some rockin' outfits for work! I love the pink dress outfit, the scarf pulls it together and has birds! The ponte jackets look awesome and comfortable, too.

Debbie said...

I laughed at your "I don't know what that means" quote and I could hear it in Bones's voice.

Sally said...

Birds = awesome.

Bones quotes = awesome.

It's all good, people.