Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Transition to Summer: Part 2

"You Look Like Summer" -- Thurs., 5/29/14

That's what one of my colleagues said when she saw this outfit.  I was really, really pleased with this combination.  I know red, white, and blue has a fourth of July feel to it, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment of this outfit at all.  (Perhaps it helps that the red is more coral than true red.)  I also am fond of the juxtaposition of a necklace and a scarf -- somehow in my mind, pearls go with a scarf really well.  I had put the pearls on originally to have in case it got too warm for the scarf (which it didn't, so I wore it all day) but I liked having the scarf tied low enough for the pearls to peek out above it.  (I am also happy at how much mileage I'm getting out of the pearls I bought myself from Robert for my birthday.  Way to go, Robert!)


* Coral red long-sleeved ponte dress from Lands End (I love it)
Black and white polka dot scarf from Target
Red and blue striped flats from Zappos
Double strand pearls

Just Another Denim Friday -- Fri., 5/30/14

I'm not sure why the Bangles song with that title did not catch on in the popular imagination as much as their Manic Monday one, but who can judge these things.  (Full disclosure: I thought that song was by Cyndi Lauper and then, rightfully, started to doubt my memory.  Google to the rescue.)

I am super happy with the lightweight knit blazers I bought from Nordstrom at their Memorial Day sale.  They are cooler than all but the lightest cardigans, and feel soft and comfy, while adding a bit more (relaxed) structure to an outfit.  The two sparkly necklaces I bought from Kohls have also been really useful purchases.  I'm glad I listened to my inner magpie and went for them. 


*White knit blazer from Nordstrom
Denim skirt (thrifted)
Dotted Boden shirt (thrifted)
Blue pointed-toe flats from Nordstrom
Blue sparkly necklace from Kohls

Note: We have now entered the period in which the kind of bad lighting in my hallway means my bare legs look kind of shockingly pink sometimes.  No question, my legs are pink-ish, but I think the color in the red dress photo is more accurate.  I suppose I should be happy that they look pink and not as white as the blazer in that last photo.

5 comments:

jen said...

Cute, and maybe it's just me (comparing to my own level of whiteness), but your legs look surprisingly tan considering you've been all covered up for winter.

Also, all your thrift store finds have inspired me to try ThredUp. I have almost no patience for shopping in stores (especially not thrift stores) but can be on my computer 24x7, so being able to browse online was the big draw for me. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be happy with what I got. I'm not too worried about the fit, since I know what size I wear in the brands I got, but we'll see if the actual condition matches what they said online.

mom said...

Your outfits were great! Love the coral red dress. We'll have to try ThredUp.

Sally said...

Jen, I've read a bit about ThredUp but haven't tried it -- I hope it works well for you! As for the non-blinding legs...it's a mystery to me why they aren't whiter.

Sally said...

Mom, I'm glad I got that dress in two colors :)

jen said...

I was happy with my ThredUp order. Will definitely shop there again.