Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Transition to Summer: Part 1

Not Working on a Monday -- Mon., 5/26/14

While other people, in warm southern climes, were celebrating Memorial Day with picnics, swimming, etc., I was chilling out (emphasis on chill -- in cool weather, sitting in my comfy chair right next to the AC vent when the AC is set on max gets quite brr) at home.

I don't habitually photograph my weekend outfits.  I pretty much wear at least one of my two rabbit t-shirts (Alice and the March Hare or Watership Down) every weekend, and the other day (or this blissful weekend, days) wear a different knit shirt, jeans, and a sweater or jacket.  I decided to give two thrift store finds their debut here.  It's hard to tell from my crummy photo, but the jacket is olive green with a light purple and grey pattern.


*Olive/purple/grey jacket (thrifted)
*Lavender knit top with ribbon detail (thrifted)
Dark jeans from Kohls
Grey Skechers (an old standby)

The lavender shirt is very nice (it's an elbow-length, "nice" knit shirt, which is useful for work) but I was disappointed that it faded in a splotchy manner after washing it.  (I washed it once after buying it, and it was fine, but one more wash was a cycle too far.)  So unfortunately it is now relegated to the sleepwear pile.  Oh well, it was only like $4 at Goodwill so it's no big deal, and purple is a useful color to match my pajamas.

A Farewell to Tights -- Tues., 5/27/14

The end of May (after Memorial Day even!) seems awfully late in the season to still be wearing tights, but that's life in Fargo, WI.*

*RB's term for the place where I live, which happens to be a major metropolitan area, thank you very much.  Tam has used her google maps fu to determine that Fargo, WI is an actual place, and I am convinced that her academic career will take her there, a convenient 3.5 hour drive from the big-ass city I live in.

But unless something goes unexpectedly wonky with the weather, this is the last tights outfit of the season!  (On the occasional cooler days, I can always wear pants with socks, so there's no need to have tights in the rotation at this point.)  It seemed appropriate to go out with a classic leopard and black combination.


Black pullover sweater
Leopard skirt
Black tights
Black flats by LifeStrides
Black scarf

A Great Black Pencil Skirt -- Wed., 5/28/14

My figure doesn't lend itself to wearing a pencil skirt, but I got lucky to find this one at Goodwill in one size up from my normal size.  Even though it's too big in the waist (fixable, but I haven't bothered because it's not noticeable unless I tuck something in, which rarely happens), it fits well (in a slightly relaxed way) elsewhere and gives a pencil silhouette without the sexy-secretary quality of a body con fit.  Put it together with a blouse in black and another color and it's easy-peasy outfit time.

And look Ma, no tights!


*Black and aqua knit blouse (thrifted)
*Black pencil skirt (thrifted)
Aqua cardigan from Macy's
Black wedges (thrifted)
Chunky aqua statement necklace from Kohls

No comments: