Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Delightful Quandry

I started reading a book at lunch (Dark Places by Gillian Flynn) that's so interesting* that I'm not sure whether I want to keep reading it this evening or watch Downtown Abbey.  I'm a winner either way.

*The narrator/protagonist is definitely not very likeable and does a lot from the get-go to lose whatever sympathy you might otherwise have had for her going in (which isn't a deal breaker for me but is something a lot of people dislike), but I am impressed with how well drawn situations, places, and characters are.  The visuals are superb, much better than I'm used to even in really well-written books.  For example, a character starts to high-five someone and then stops, leaving his arm suspended in the air in a Heil Hitler salute (I'm too lazy to track down the wording from the book, sorry).  I love that.  I cannot speak at all to the plot because I've really only just started reading it, but I'm enjoying the book a lot so far.

No comments: