Thursday, October 28, 2010

Vitamin D: Not Just Fun, It's Good For You

From an interview in the Nutrition Action Newsletter:

"Sixty percent of people in the US and Europe get too little vitamin D.  The percentages are higher in the Middle East and Southeast Asia.  The most important source of vitamin D is sun exposure, which increases the body's production of vitamin D.  The diet is not rich in D.  There's a little in fatty fish and in eggs, but by and large, people without sun exposure will need a supplement."

From what my sister's doctor says, everybody in San Francisco is deprived of vitamin D.

So I am going to consider my al fresco Saturday lunches on Jason's patio not only an enjoyable, relaxing break from the trials and tribulations of grad school life, but a bona fide health behavior.  You know, as long as I avoid the chocolate mousse with chocolate chips from the salad bar and the mini muffins that have calories into the fourth dimension.

3 comments:

rvman said...

I followed the link to the old post, went to Jason's, and found they had fixed their nutrition info - a single muffin is now 28 grams, with 90 calories - 3 grams fat, 14 grams of carb (9 sugar), 1 gram of protein. It is, somehow, lower calorie than the cornbread, which claims to have 105 calories on 5g fat, 12g carbs(6 sugar), 1g protein.

jen said...

Enjoy some sunshine for me, and I'll take care of the chocolate :)

Sally said...

Jen, I know you've always got the chocolate thing covered. It's one thing I can count on in this topsy-turvy world...

RVman, I guess the muffins are now only insanely high calorie instead of impossibly.