Sunday, October 10, 2010

This is Your Brain on Neuroscience

After our 3 hour review session (in advance of the exam on Wed.), my brain is now dripping out my ears.  I think it's going to be hugely helpful, though.  (As a side effect, I have been reduced to making bad neuroscience in-jokes on Facebook.)

It may not be a great sign of my self-confidence going into this exam that I checked the student handbook to determine what grade in the course I have to get to pass.  It appears to be a C.  This may sound ridiculous (e.g., to the people on the Chronicle forum who state that getting B's indicates you're not really cut out for grad school), but:

1) My sense from talking to my fellow students is that the grading in my program is a lot more like undergrad than what many people describe their grad programs like (i.e., many more lower grades are awarded; in some of my classes, I think the average was a B). 
2) Last year, my office mate failed this class and had to take it again.
3) Waaaaah.  It's hard.

I did sort of have fun playing with this Nernst/Goldman simulator this weekend, though.

Oh, and to get me through the week, I have just bookmarked the Disapproving Rabbits web site.  These rabbits really, really disapprove of neuroscience and neuroscience exams.

1 comment:

Tam said...

I doubt you'll get a C (though what do I know), but I don't think a lower grade in this class would look as bad as a lower grade in something more related to your intended research.