Friday, October 15, 2010

Wizard of Oz

Robert was walking drama-stiffly toward the chair I was sitting in (and from which I demanded that he help me straighten out my left leg which I was too lethargic to straighten in anticipation of getting up).

S: "So, what - are you the Tin Man?  What is it you need?"

R: "A heart.  And the scarecrow needs a brain."

S: "What about the lion?"

R: "He needs courage."

S: "But I don't understand.  Courage isn't a body part."

R: "Yeah, but I'm pretty sure it was courage."

S: insistently "But that isn't a body part."

R: "It was a kid's movie.  They couldn't very well say that he needed a pair of balls."

Instead all he got was this lousy medal.  (And personally, I think he needs a make-over.  What the hell is with that red bow in his fur?)


Surprisingly, I don't think I've ever seen this movie all the way through.  This part with the handing out of the medal of courage, the diploma (see: a degree is a substitute for a brain! Heed this well, little children), and whatever the tin man gets (a heart-shaped watch? what?) is totally unfamiliar.

Also, I just want to advise anyone who may be considering a sexy cowardly lion costume for Halloween: just because you can buy it on the Internet does not make it a good idea.

5 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

yeah - lion needs quite a bit more than some manscaping to really be in top form.

Good point about the brains: I just need to re-finance my house and buy a diploma. Oh wait; my house is under water. Never mind.

Sally said...

I'm now envisioning a cartoon morality play involving a house that is literally underwater.

jen said...

I guess the implication is that cowardly = girly, thus the curls and bow.

Sally said...

Jen, nicely observed. No doubt he goes out for a military-style buzz-cut at the end of the movie.

cartaufalous said...

The medal doesn't look right to me, but the rest of the costume looks great.