Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Tarot Reading

The swords are the suit of the leaders and warriors
Last night, I had a yet another headache that precluded screen-time and was feeling a bit at loose ends, so after having gotten my interest in my Dali tarot cards resparked after reading about Tam and her boyfriend's tarot play, I decided I would do a reading on myself - a standard 10 card spread using both the minor and major arcana - and the results required so little creative interpretation that I wanted to post them.

The question in my mind was pretty obviously about my whole new plan to go back to school and get a PhD.

Card 1 - Present Position - Atmosphere in which the questioner is working and living; represents the questioner

7 of Swords (pictured above) (I saw some similarity of this rendition to the Classic Tarot deck's Fool card - the pack on the back, the dog - but depending on what's being hunted, a dog shouldn't be out of place on that outing.)

"New plans. Wishes. Efforts through uncertainty. Attempt. Endeavor. Hope. Confidence. Fantasy. Design.

Um, yeah.

Card 2 - Immediate Influence - Shows the nature of the influence or immediate sphere of obstacles which lie just ahead.

5 of Wands

"Unsatisfied desires. Struggle. Labor. Endeavors. Violent strife. Conflict. Obstacles."

So the nature of the obstacles ahead of me are ... obstacles. OK. That's reassuring.

Card 3 - Goal or Destiny - The questioner's aim or ideal in the matter within her present frame of reference.

7 of Cups

"Fantasy. Unrealistic attitudes. Imagination. Daydreams. Foolish whims. Wishful thinking. Illusionary success."

What? Are they trying to say that I have been indulging in a bit of fantisizing and daydreaming that being a grad student is going to be just wonderful in most every respect? That I am not actually going to be stressed out and overworked and frequently wishing I could just go to a job, and do some work, and go home, and not think about it again until the next day? That would true. But I mean, I've got to have these feelings now, to get me started, because the hellish aspects will make themselves known soon enough. I'm just hoping I can store up enough enthusiasm to carry me through once I reach the point of absolutely hating it.

Card 4 - Distant Past Foundation - Broad and basic events which existed in the past; the basis of fact already passed into actuality and which is embodied within the questioner.

The Fool

"The Fool personifies the spirit and enthusiasm of youth possessed by the boundless range of possibilities one perceives when setting forth upon a new undertaking... The person drawing this card should be careful not to be tempted by that which appears better than it is..."

What a card. It includes both positive aspects regarding initiative, passion, and so forth, as well as carelessness, rashness, lack of discipline, and reluctance to listen to advice. Taking into account specific details like "severing dependency on family and friends," "entering upon a new world," "infatuation," "excess," and "immaturity," it's not a bad summation of my freshman year of colllege, as my GPA can attest.

Card 5 - Recent Past Events - Most recent sphere of influence or events which have just passed.
Knight of Cups

"An opportunity may soon arise. Advancement. Request. Challenge. Proposal."

As Robert pointed out, the most obvious recent opportunity which just occurred was my accelerating my back-to-school timeline by a semester when I found out at the last moment that I could still apply as a grad student at Texas State.

Card 6 - Future Influence - Shows the sphere of influence that is coming into being in a broad sense.

2 of Pentacles

"Difficulty in launching new projects. Difficult situations arising. New troubles. Concern. Worry."

This card was a bit of a bummer, but the events described seem plausible, given my situation, and not very surprising. Obviously, getting finished with my current damn math class before classes start in August is going to be quite difficult and could present all types of "new troubles" as I try to get that wrapped up while starting 4 new classes.

Card 7 - The Questioner - Shows the questioner in her present position; attempts to place the questioner in proper perspective.

10 of Pentacles

"Prosperity. Riches. Security. Safety. Family. Dwelling."

I certainly am well-positioned with my current financial situation (the savings I have to keep me afloat while having no income) and living situation to embark on this costly endeavor. I am such a cheap ass that I have to keep reminding myself that I can afford this, especially with Robert fully employed and sharing household expenses. I can be a grad student starting right away and not have to move into a small apartment with a total stranger to kept costs down but rather stay with my boyfriend and lovely bunny-boy in our nice place - yay!

Card 8 - Environmental Factors - Reveals tendencies which exist with respect to other persons which may have an effect on the questioner.

The Empress

"She is a woman of knowledge and intellect who can effectively put to use all her capabilities towards a meaningful and noteworthy development of her own life... Development. Accomplishment. The motivation behind a successful partner. Level-headed. Practical."

I can make a case for this reflecting the combination of Robert's and my mom's influence on my life. God knows I will need some level-headed and practical people to support me through this long, crazy-making process. Robert could not help pointing out that "Marriage" is one of the meanings of this card.

Card 9 - Inner Emotions - Reveals the hopes, fears, anxieties, and hidden emotions of the questioner.

The High Priestess (Reversed)

"Ignorance. Shortsightedness. Lack of understanding. Selfishness. Improper judgment. Shallowness."

I was absolutely shocked to see that this card was reversed (i.e. upside down). When shuffling the cards, I had explicitly used a side-by-side method, to minimize bending and potential damage to this $100 tarot deck, that should have ensured that no cards could be reversed. (When I use other decks, I always shuffle such that several cards are reversed.) All I can think is that I somehow managed to reverse this card when I assembled the deck before shuffling, but it's surprising to me that I could make what amounts to a mistake with a card, particularly in the major arcana since it has writing on it that makes the orientation very salient. Odd. Well, it certainly was a good fit in this spot, since I have had all kinds of fears that I am making a mistake, not thinking this through correctly, and will possibly put Robert in a bad spot by requiring him to 'follow me' when I leave Austin for a PhD program and put up with the insanity that will ensue as I get deeper into this. (Not that he hasn't already been putting up with the insanity resulting from the increasingly intolerable qualities of my job the last couple years. A low tolerance level for insanity is kind of incompatible with being my boyfriend anyway.)

Card 10 - Final Outcome - Shows the culmination and result which will be brought about.

Ace of Pentacles

OK, before I tell you the meaning of this card, I have to report that I was totally thrilled when I saw it. Even though it's been so long since I've read tarot that I have forgotten the meaning of most of the minor arcana, Aces are always good. I believe I may even have pumped my hand in the air over this one. It's not that I would have been utterly powerless to finesse a less obviously positive card, but it was a relief that I wouldn't have to do so and instead could enjoy an unambiguously awesome outcome.

"This card symbolizes the realization of counterbalanced ideas. Perfection. Attainment. Ecstasy. The combination of material and spiritual prosperity."

Hey, that works for me!

Here is what the entire spread looked like:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good that your tarot reading agrees with my original assessment of your goal to get your PhD, which is that you have what it takes to accomplish this. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind on this. And, in the event you need any advice of a practical nature or a shoulder to cry on, I will always be available.