Thursday, July 26, 2007

New Tank Shape

Yesterday, I took a break from Math Hell to try out a new tank top design, based on a more fitted shirt that I own and almost never wear because it is a few inches too short for my taste, but that I like the basic shaping of at the sides and arms. Fortunately my sewing abilities were in reasonably good form and the shirt came together very easily. Because of reinforced seams at the top, I had to trim off the old shoulder seams and resew it in order for the fabric to even fit under the needle in my sewing machine for finishing the neckline; this brought the whole shirt up by about an inch, but didn't damage the fit. I am pleased with how it turned out and will reuse this design again. For once, the t-shirt I reconstructed was one I purchased because I found the blue heron irresistable (and pre-Operation Cheap Ass, I always have liked to throw our state parks a bone) but always had to use as a pajama shirt due to its unflattering baggy shape. I'm thinking of taking in my Marvin shirt, which I made into a tank top with a scoop neck but did not reshape at the sides, using this pattern.

I have yet to do anything at all adventurous with my reconstructions, but as long as I still have shirts with nice designs on them, I am not feeling the need to get very creative. Merely reclaiming my already cutely decorated shirts from the drawer of useless things has been very useful.

As always, Leo enjoyed trying to destroy/get through the barricade I put up between the sewing corner and the rest of the room; I made such a good barricade that I almost was unable to get over it myself.


The woman in beige

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It turned out really nice, what a great fit!! I've been using my blue heron t-shirt to go walking since it is so big. How long did it take you to convert this one?