Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Muppet Musings

Check out the Muppet rendition of "Danny Boy" on Alethiography.

It took me a while to get around to watching this but yes, a classic. I thought Animal was particularly in fine form with his "Danny Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy."

I'm pretty much a sucker for Muppets. I think that's a good part of why I was able to tolerate the early episodes of the show "Farscape" until it came into its own. (Have you noticed how frequently a new TV show kind of sucks early on? Sometimes it takes over a season before it's really watchable at all.) Two of the main characters on "Farscape" are Muppets, and the erstwhile ruler of 6 million souls, Rygel, is really fun to watch with his expressive little ... eyebrows, or ears, or random tufts of fur, or whatever the hell they are.

The dominar looking stern in his whizzy little chair
On an unrelated Muppet note, about 10 years ago I bought a Little Golden Book of poems about the Muppets that referred to Gonzo's "proboscis," which I thought to be some advanced vocabulary in that context (proboscis = long, flexible nose or snout). I'm a fan of Gonzo, of course, and enjoyed this quote on the wikipedia entry from which I got this photo: "I shall now defuse this highly explosive bomb while simultaneously, and at the same time, reciting from the works of Percy Bysshe Shelley." (As has been well-established, I like the use of repetitive and redundant language, stated over and over multiple times for comic effect.) Rvman will no doubt find the reference to Shelley sleep-inducing, but I am willing to forgive a lot for "Ozymandias."
The dude's got serious schnoz going on

No comments: