Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tufted Puffins in the Wild

#NatureTwinning Part 70

Ever since the first time I wore this "chambray blue" knit top with my chambray blazer, I basically don't want to wear either piece any other way.  They are just a perfect combination.

Wednesday, 5/23/18

Paired with these neutrals, the coral red skirt really pops.

OCPW: $12.19


Tuesday, 7/17/18

I decided to try the Chambray Duo with navy pants for a very understated backdrop for this fancy bit of sparkle I bought at Loft.

OCPW: $12.17


Another perfect pairing--two tufted puffins, looking silly and awesome out of the water.

Although the "Wild" of the post title refers to a section of the St Louis Zoo, it so happens that Robert and I have seen actual wild tufted puffins--on our first pelagic birding trip!  This was the 14 hour trip in the Pacific Ocean that we took out of Westport, WA in August 2003.  Robert struggled rather desperately with seasickness for the entire trip (and I had the time of my life), but we saw SO MANY great sea birds.  When I analyzed the data back in 2011, that pelagic trip was my #3 top site for life birds at 18 species.  Only Hornsby Bend and Town Lake in Austin had gained me more life birds, and that was over a lot of different trips.  18 new species in 14 hours is damn good!

St Louis Zoo

In other news...Speaking of birds, I enjoyed this brief (2.5 minute) video about the haunting call (i.e., "the wail") of common loons on their North Woods summer territories (scroll to the bottom of the post for the video).  I still remember how startled Robert and I were when we heard it for the first time here in Minnesota.  The common loon makes for a very nice state bird.

From dnr.mn.state.us

2 comments:

Mom said...

I really like loons, but I’ve never heard one in real life. Maybe, someday when we come to visit.

Sally said...

Mom, if you come in the summer, there's a chance!