Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Spotted Hyena at Rivers Edge

#NatureTwinning Part 63--Beige Cardigan and Brown Jeans

For my own amusement, and because I am so far behind on my outfits, I am going to try posting outfits that share items together for a while, rather than continuing to post chronologically.  I like it when other people post "3 Outfits with a Red Sweater" or whatever, and although they are often purposely attempting to show the versatility of a single item, I'm curious to see how different (or similar) my outfits are, and which iterations worked best.

Tuesday, 5/15/18

Loved the red/brown/beige combination, and this scarf makes me happy.

*Beige short-sleeved open weave cardigan (thrifted, Target), $3.74

OCPW: $13.71


Thursday, 6/26/18

I liked the brown top + brown jeans pseudo-jumpsuit combination here, but (1) I'm not always happy with the lighter cardigan on a darker base (whereas in the previous outfit, the red shirt functioned more like a "bright" than a "dark") and (2) I decided at the last minute to wear this scarf that I haven't worn a lot and seeing the photo, I can understand why--I just flat do not like this scarf.  It's too skimpy and the colors are just not great to work with.  I'm tired of trying to find some magical combination that makes me enjoy it.  (I had such a magical combination like 6 years ago, but I do not see that happening again.)  Adios, scarf!

OCPW: 13.28


A hyena gives a master class in wearing brown and beige.

St Louis Zoo

In other news...On the subject of hyenas, I just finished reading the first book in the new Philip Pullman Book of Dust trilogy, La Belle Sauvage.  It's been so long ago that I read the Dark Materials trilogy (apparently there was a 17 year gap between the end of that series and the start of this one!) that I basically don't remember who Lyra (who appears in this book as a baby) even was.  So although I was already familiar with some aspects of the world--daemons, alethiometers, Mrs. Coulter--it wasn't like everything was ringing the bells like it would for someone with a better memory for the previous books.

But even standing sorta alone, the book was enjoyable, if perhaps not as enjoyable as I recall His Dark Materials being...even though a lot of the action took place on a boat (canoe) and I of course found the protagonist (an 11 year old boy) very likable.  That said, I'll still be looking for the next one in the series.

What do hyenas have to do with anything?  One of the characters has a (very disturbing) hyena daemon.

One moment that I absolutely adored, however, was when the boy hero's sidekick asks him "What's that?" and (recognizing it from a book he's read or something) he responds "A mausoleum."  But because he's never heard that word said aloud, he's only read it, he pronounces it to rhyme with linoleum.

I asked Robert if he remembers any words he mispronounced as a child from encountering it first in books and he offered up two fabulous examples:
(1) Chaos pronounced to rhyme with mouse
(2) Misled pronounced like "mizzled"

I know I must have done this too, but I don't have any specific ones I remember.  However, I do know that as an adult I have mispronounced Russian names from literary titles--both Karenina and Karamazov, I'm sure of.

How about you?

6 comments:

rvman said...

The funny thing is, neither word was unknown to me as a spoken word, I just didn't associate them to the text version. I specifically remember looking up 'misle' (the putative present tense of 'misled') and not finding anything in the dictionary. I think I figured it out from context several encounters later.

rvman said...

I also got hung up on "chaotic" - I think I encountered it before I encountered "chaos" itself.

Jen M. said...

The hyenas remind me--a neighbor just gave P a book the other day when we were out for our evening walk. It's called Rescue Bunnies and he couldn't wait to get home and read it. I mean bunnies and fire trucks, what could go wrong? Uh, the horrific storyline in which a baby giraffe is stuck in the mud and a pack of hyenas are closing in. The rescue bunnies decide to leave but the new trainee ropes herself to the giraffe so they would have to save her... uh, P is 2. Needless to say, we don't read the words, and the hyenas are actually happy and on their way to help, but since the bunnies rescue the giraffe, they can just go home and eat their lunch. Lol.

Sally said...

Bunnies and fire trucks should make for an awesome book, but...what??? Sounds like this one does work better as a picture book!

Debbie said...

Familiar--a witch's familiar; I thought it rhymed with chandelier. When I found out the real pronunciation, well, it seemed just wrong to pronounce it the same as such a prosaic word.

...And of course there's patina.

Sally said...

Debbie, good examples. Familiar in the witch sense does seem like it should feel exotic :)