Sunday, July 22, 2018

Featherfin Squeaker

#NatureTwinning Part 68

I didn't purchase these two items with the idea that I'd wear them together, but I guess that became an obvious formula--a slightly oversized peplum top and semi-skinny capri pants.  That much volume on top relative to the bottom might not work for some people, but I think it looks fine on me.

*Dark aqua peplum top (Lands End), $16.99
* Black polished capris (Kohls), $19.99

Thursday, 5/24/18

Today's two outfits are a nice demonstration of early summer versus mid summer dressing.  The top and pants are the same, but I've added a blazer to the early summer version (which helps de-puff this rather volumetric shirt)...

OCPW: $23.90


Wednesday, 7/11/18

...and I've added just a scarf (tied low so it's not too warm) to the mid summer version.  A loose, all-cotton shirt is probably the most perfect thing for me to wear to work during the hot season (when it's routinely 76-78 F in my office).

OCPW: $11.57


Is the featherfin squeaker a great name or what?  This is a type of catfish that can swim upside down at will.  It is called squeaker "because they can produce a squeaking sound as a warning to both predators and competitors during spawning time.  The speaking is accomplished by rubbing the spines of its pectoral fins into grooves on its shoulders."  The featherfin part of the name is due to its dorsal fin that "develops lacy extensions on the adults."  Of course, this guy is keeping his featherfin down in an attempt to fool us.

Newport Aquarium

In other news...Tam sent this article on a EQ perennial favorite topic--that "follow your passion" is bad career advice.  This one gets extra points for tying it to new psychological research showing that when people have the idea that their interests are "fixed" (existent from birth, for a person to discover), they more easily lose interest in things and have a more limited view of potentially compatible career areas than people who subscribe to the idea that interests are something that can be developed over time.

If this growth mind-set vs. fixed mind-set contrast sounds familiar, extra points to you--the research comes from the same psychologist who has published so much on growth and fixed intelligence mind-sets.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I’ve always thought the follow your passion idea for making a living ridiculous.

Sally said...

Mom, yep, I thought this one would push your buttons :)

Jen M. said...

I'm curious about interest vs passion. To be great at what you do, you have to care enough about it to spend enough time at it to get good. There are things I know I *could* do but don't care enough to actually do, even if it could be lucrative etc. Those interests could change over time of course. Many fields are emerging anyway so what was available when I was young is different from today's options but it's not like I'm fundamentally a different person either.

Sally said...

Jen, I think that's an important distinction between passion and interest. I do think a certain base interest level does have to be there. Interest really can grow over time (but obviously it doesn't always), so it's good to have an open mind about things that might be/become of interest, but not necessarily a passion. "I like math, I'm passionate about dance, I think I'm going to go the math route career-wise" is a reasonable idea :)

There's an intersection here of what is interesting, what you're good at, and what is lucrative (or stable or is a job you can do anywhere or whatever other aspects of a job you value).

In addition to the (often futile, depressing) chasing of a passion, I think people also over weigh "what I'm best at" vs "what I'm better at than other people."