Friday, July 20, 2018

Orange Zinnias

#NatureTwinning Part 67

Today's outfits feature my thrifted navy/coral/green floral pleated skirt, which is probably my current Very Favorite Skirt, a new light coral t-shirt, and my big-ass crystal bib necklace.  I'm pretty surprised to find that I had worn these core 3 items together within just over a month from each other, but I clearly thought it was a winning combination.  What do you think?

*Coral short-sleeved T (JCP), $6.80

Friday, 6/1/18

A casual Friday version in calmer colors: a denim shirt/"jacket" in honor of Friday and rather sedate (by my standards) medium blue flats let the bright t-shirt peaking out the front pop.

OCPW: $13.18


Monday, 7/9/18

A full-on, wake-up-it's-Monday version with additional bright colors: an aqua cardigan and orange flats that balance the t-shirt and, to my eye, make the dark patterned skirt stand out by contrast.

OCPW: $6.02


It's nice when I actually know the flowers in the photo and don't have to try my luck with an image search of dubious accuracy.  I love the variety of shades of pink/coral/peach/yellow in this photo.  I have usually seen bright orange or yellow zinnias, but these softer pastels are very lovely.

Missouri Botanical Garden

In other news...Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham is not the usual young adult fiction I gravitate toward.  It's a novel about the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 with dual storylines--one set in the present with a mixed race girl narrator (and her asexual male friend, which you basically never see in fiction) and the other a tale of the events of 1921 as seen by a white teenage guy who gets more caught up by things than he wanted.

I will not state that this book was perfect in its handling of this material (I'm not sure what perfect would look like in any case), but the story was more compelling than I would have expected.

One thing I learned is that the Greenwood area of Tulsa was known as "Black Wall Street" (prior to the race riot) because it had such a high concentration of black-owned businesses and was arguably the most economically prosperous black community in the country.

No comments: